Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Symetra Financial
Symetra is a dynamic and growing financial services company with 60 years of experience and customers nationwide. In our daily work delivering retirement, employee benefits, and life insurance products, we're guided by the principles of VALUE, TRANSPARENCY AND SUSTAINABILITY. That means we provide products and services people need at a competitive price, we communicate clearly and honestly so people understand what they're getting, and we build products that stand the test of time. We work hard and do what's right for our customers, communities and employees. Join our team and share in our success as we work toward becoming the next national player in our industry.
An Enterprise Application Architect plays a key role in keeping Symetra true to its values by creating standards and providing governance while also exploring new technologies and advances that provide innovative and effective ways to improve the business. The architect assumes responsibilities over solution designs, conceptual architectures, understands business architecture and information architecture, and is comfortable exploring advances in technology while assessing risk and appropriateness for Symetra. Engages with business partners, both internal and external, while building deeper understanding of the insurance industry as well as identifying options for how Symetra can achieve strategic business goals.
- Research, Patterns & Practices: Creation of intellectual property that will be used to influence what departments do. Analyze enterprise business context (trends and business strategy) to derive technical architecture. Analyze the current technology environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement. Analyze technology industry and market trends, and determine their potential impact on the enterprise.
- Strategies, Standards & Governance: Delivery of artifacts that will be used to drive understanding and direction of Enterprise. Understand, advocate and augment the principles of business and IT - and more specifically enterprise architecture (EA) - strategies. Assist with designing the governance activities associated with ensuring ETA compliance. Define the principles that guide technology decisions for the enterprise.
- Project Delivery: Project involvement delivering new or enhanced IT services and business capabilities. Oversee or consult on technical architecture (for example, systems) implementation and modification activities (for example, projects), particularly for new and/or shared infrastructure solutions. "Sell" the enterprise architecture process, its outcome and ongoing results. Oversee and facilitate the evaluation and selection of hardware and software technology and product standards, as well as the design of standard configurations. Consult on application or infrastructure development projects to fit systems or infrastructure to the technical architecture, and identify when it is necessary to modify the technical architecture to accommodate project needs.
- Problem Resolution: Track issues and contribute to resolution. Identify themes, and provide visibility to them. Design and lead the implementation of an ETA based on business requirements and IT strategies, as well as to rectify gaps and pain points in the current state.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience.
Seven to 10 years of experience in at least two IT disciplines in a client/server or service-oriented architecture (SOA) environment, including technical architecture, network design, application development, middleware, service bus, servers and storage, mainframe and storage, database management, virtualization and operations.
Exposure to multiple, diverse technical configurations, technologies and processing environments. Specific experience with Microsoft platform and development involving web technologies.
- Strong leadership, analytical and technical skills. knowledge of all components of a technical architecture.
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes.
- Understanding of network architecture. Understanding of SOA and object-oriented analysis and design.
- Exposure to AI/machine learning, data science, statistics, and advanced analytics is a definite plus.
- Learn more: www.symetra.com/careers