State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Transportation Engineer 2 In-Training (Multiple Positions)
at State of Washington
This position is open until filled. The first resume review will take place on December 12, 2019.
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) is currently seeking talented and innovative engineers who have a passion for creative solutions, innovation, and can provide success in collaborative efforts. We are seeking entry-level, journey-level engineers or those with a projected graduation date within six months, who want to participate in supporting some of the most important infrastructure projects in Skagit, Whatcom, Island, and northern Snohomish counties. Working as a member of a dynamic Design/Construction engineering office your role will be pivotal in meeting the goals of this agency through the development of Plans, Specifications and Estimates, reviewing the work of engineers and technicians, ensuring WSDOT standards for design, CADD, materials testing, inspection and project documentation are followed. Be a part of a team whose mission is to provide safe, reliable, and cost-effective transportation options to communities and businesses!
We are specifically looking to fill multiple positions in Bellingham, Burlington, and Mount Vernon.
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
In addition to the above, the successful candidate will perform the following work:
- Serve as a lead designer. Prepares and/or reviews project definitions, design files, hydraulic reports, access reports, environmental documents, design estimates, right of way plans, contract plans, specifications, estimates, etc.
- Assist with the management of project schedules, scope, and budget.
- Assist in the development of design documentation, storm water reports, environmental documentation, right of way plans, and PS&E.
- Use a computer to create horizontal alignments, earthwork, drainage analysis, elevations, profiles, cross sections, details, structural notes, quantities, and cost estimates.
- Coordinate projects with WSDOT support groups and local agencies.
- Assist in the preparation of project meetings and hearings.
- Interpret data, identify problems and develop solutions using sound engineering judgment and guidelines on complicated transportation projects.
- Serve as an Assistant Project Inspector on complex construction projects for highways and highway structures ensuring conformance with contract plans and specifications.
- Serve as an Assistant Office Engineer on complex construction projects for highways and highway structures ensuring conformance with contract and state and federal requirements.
- Coordinate and communicate with contractors regarding schedule and clarify questions related to contract documents.
- Coordinate the preparation of contract estimates and final records.
- Performs a variety of skilled construction office engineering tasks.
- Other duties as assigned.
At a minimum, an ideal candidate shall have:
- A Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited college or university with major study in civil engineering or a closely related field OR Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT).
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather conditions, traverse uneven terrain, and work in confined spaces.
- Ability to work varying shifts during the construction season (day, night, swing, etc.) including weekends and holidays.
- Have a valid driver's license and be able to safely travel from site to site to provide field support.
- Ability to learn and apply critical path scheduling methods and the project management process and tools (CPM, Primavera) to build, update, and troubleshoot project delivery schedules.
- Ability to learn and utilize computer software including Microsoft Office, Micro-Station, EBASE, ProjectWise, Sharepoint, Materials Testing System (MATS), Materials Tracking Program (MTP), Statistical Analysis of Materials (SAM), Mainframe Applications, MicroStation and In-Roads.
- A Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited college or university with major study in civil engineering or a closely related field AND Certification as an Engineer-In-Training (EIT);
- Two years of experience as a Transportation Engineer 1 or Transportation Technician 3, or equivalent;
- A Master's degree with major study in civil engineering, or a closely related field. Knowledge and experience in utility and/or transportation design, right of way, and construction
This in-training position offers a career path and on-the-job training, and allows you to progress through the Transportation Engineering series with the goal of becoming a Transportation Engineer 2. The salary levels for each position are:
Transportation Engineer 1: $53,904-$72,432
Transportation Engineer 2: $59,436-$79,944
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees can feel respected, included and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
• A chronological Resume outlining your experience to date
• A Letter of Interest detailing your qualifications, and why you believe you are the best person for this role, and
• A minimum of three (3) professional references who can attest to your work performance, technical skills, knowledge base, and job-related competencies
**This posting will be utilized to fill multiple postings***
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Josefina Mutascu at MutascJ@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-NWR-10378m
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.