State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senate Session Security Officer
at State of Washington
Job Reference #: 2573273
Overall Job Objective
- Exempt Recruitment Announcement- Resumes will be screened upon arrival
JOB TITLE: Session Security Officer, Washington State Senate
REPORTS TO: Director of Senate Security
START DATE: January 6, 2020
This position does not qualify for health benefits or retirement.
- The Washington State Senate anticipates vacancies for multiple temporary positions in Senate Security for the 2020 Legislative Session.
- Session Security personnel provide security and safety services for the Washington State Senate, serving in temporary, at-will, non-partisan, exempt positions during the legislative session.
- Selected personnel will begin this temporary position on or about January 2, 2020 and will be expected to be available to work through the scheduled end of the 2020 Legislative Session.
- The temporary assignment may be extended to a maximum of six months if necessary for any special legislative session.
- Training will be provided at the beginning of the assignment, including First Aid, CPR and AED training if needed.
- Employees serving in one of these temporary positions will generally work forty hours a week with varying schedules, although overtime work may occasionally be needed without additional compensation.
- No traditional benefits such as pension or health insurance are provided with these temporary positions.
- There is no paid sick or annual leave and unpaid leave will only be approved in exceptional circumstances.
- This position can lead to a recurring annual position with the legislative sessions and may include biannual wage increases.
- Security presence at access points, posts, or remote locations; foot patrol; monitor and control access to parking lots, hearing rooms, and legislative facilities; monitor and control video surveillance and building access control systems; report security incidents and prepare written reports; maintain order and decorum, enforce House Rules.
- Observe, detect, deter and report security and safety issues to supervisor, law enforcement, or others as required by training, policies and procedures; provide prompt response to emergencies, calls for service, disruptions, or other incidents; provide first aid, CPR, and/or AED treatment as needed; identify, report, and resolve workplace safety issues; operate a mid-sized passenger van and transport passengers.
- Work cooperatively within a structured organizational system with assigned positions, position instructions, and reporting to co-workers, your supervisor and executive management staff.
- Comply with the security policies, Senate Rules, and the Washington State Senate Personnel Policy & Procedure Manual.
- Assist state senators, legislative staff, and visitors as needed.
- May perform other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High School Graduate or equivalent;
- No previous security related criminal convictions;
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the job.
- Ability to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time;
- Ability to carry or move objects of up to 50 pounds in weight;
- Ability to work outdoors during inclement weather;
- Ability to obtain First Aid Certification;
- A valid driver's license is required for any driving duties;
- Previous security, military, or law enforcement experience preferred;
- Ability to work alongside persons with diverse backgrounds, interests, and capabilities;
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with multiple groups in a fast-paced environment;
- A dependable and strong work ethic, and the ability to maintain a professional and confidential manner at all times, excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to seek and follow supervisory direction as required, positive attitude and the ability to be an exceptional team member, ability to multi-task and to handle complex and difficult situations;
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail, proficiency with using email;
- Ability to work as non-partisan staff in a partisan environment.
- Supplemental Information
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit the following information by December 14, 2019:
- A letter of interest no more than one page in length addressing the specific qualifications and your knowledge, skills, and abilities that are applicable to this position.
- A current resume no more than one page in length detailing your experience and/or education.
- A list of at least three professional references, including one supervisor, with company name, and current telephone numbers and/or email contact information.
Applications without the requested above materials will not move forward in the recruitment process.
Washington State Senate
Phone: (360) 786-7577
We prefer to receive all application packages via e-mail with attachments in either a Word document or as a .pdf.
The Washington State Senate is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact Lisa Biscay, HR Business Partner at (360) 786-7337, or e-mail Lisa.Biscay@leg.wa.gov.