State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Research Economist EA3 (2019-09751) Lacey
at State of Washington
Job Status: Part Time,Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 2588329
Overall Job Objective
Here's your opportunity to be a key part of how we live our vision and BUILD the nation's best and most future ready workforce – starting right at ESD!
This recruitment will remain open until filled.
These positions are project based with an estimated and date of 12/31/21.
Here at the Employment Security Department (ESD), we believe in the Power to Help when people need it most. We provide our communities with inclusive workforce solutions that promote economic resilience and prosperity. We help people find jobs, bridge gaps in employment and soon we'll be providing paid family and medical leave.
Our Labor Market and Economic Analysis Branch of ESD is in need of two (2) project based Research Economists to evaluate the Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment (RESEA), a key federally funded program that helps unemployment insurance claimants return to work faster. As a Research Economist you be responsible to gather, input, prepare and clean raw data to use in casual impact analysis of the program.
Why work with us?
The work we do matters. The Labor Market and Economic Analysis Branch supports the agency mission and the employment process by providing businesses, individuals and other customers with the labor market information they need to succeed in a changing economy. As a Research Economists you will have the discretion and freedom to choose the methods of your research with little supervision. We won't micromanage your work. Our weekly meetings will consist of sharing ideas, learning from one another, valuable collaboration and teamwork.
What a typical day looks like:
- Research, test, specify and implement appropriate econometric models using statistical software programing languages.
- Literature review to ensure reliability and validity of estimation methods.
- On a project or continuing basis, lead staff conducting economic research and analysis.
- Extract and share data with customers according to their business needs.
- Update and maintain clear and detailed documentation of all standard work procedures and processes of the position.
- Review, evaluate, and proofread work products completed by coworkers to ensure the highest quality products possible.
Authorship or co-authorship in two research papers that are either published or in-progress in which your work is the major contribution.
Two (2) years experience working with causal impact evaluation methods such as Randomized Control Trial, Interrupted Time Series, Propensity Score Matching, Regression Discontinuity, Instrumental Variable Regression, and/or Difference-in-Differences.
A Master's degree or equivalent in a Ph.D. program in economics, public finance or closely allied field; and three (3) years of professional experience in economic analysis.
Two (2) years as an Economic Analyst in State service.*Professional experience in economic analysis may be substituted, year for year, for the required education, provided a Bachelor's degree in economics, public finance or closely allied field has been obtained.*
*Additional graduate training in economics or public finance may be substituted, year for year, for experience.*
Demonstrated ability to:
- Use specialized software (for example, SAS, R or SQL) to collect data from large databases (big data or internal databases), create data sets for econometric or statistical analysis and conduct econometric or statistical analysis.
- Write technical and plain language reports.
- Review and edit peer's reports for a general or technical audience.
- Interact confidently and effectively with stakeholders, customers, researchers and other audiences.
- Manage projects
- Supplemental Information
Please attach a resume, cover letter and one (1) research paper that is either published or in-progress to your on-line application (through the Add Attachment(s) field).
- A resume will not substitute for the "work experience" section of the application.
- Applications with comments such as "see attachments" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
- Final external candidates must pass an Unemployment Insurance (UI) Fraud Check.
- This recruitment may be used to establish a qualified pool of EA3 candidates for agency-wide vacancies in the next six months.
- The Employment Security Department is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
- If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please contact email@example.com or (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference must attach a copy of their DD214 or other verification of military service. Please black out any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. Thank you for your service!Modern Workplace
ESD's employee engagement continued to trend upward in 2018 as we developed programs to improve the employee experience. We are diligent and remain focused on creating a modern workplace designed to meet the needs of a changing workforce. We have wellness programs, telework policies and flexible schedules. We're working to update our facilities all over the state to enhance both the client and employee experience.
Opportunity for AllThe Washington Employment Security Department is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Please include your name and preferred pronouns in your application, to ensure we address you appropriately throughout the application process.
More than Just a Paycheck
Washington State offers one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. Beyond the traditional benefits such as Health, Life Insurance, Retirement, and related benefits, we offer Flex Spending Accounts, Dependent Care Assistance, Deferred Compensation and so much more. We take work life balance seriously and many of our offices offer flexible work hours with a wider variety of shift and schedule option to assist in this.
Please contact Dawn Loduha on the Talent Acquisition Team at 360-902.9427, Washington Relay Service 711, firstname.lastname@example.org, or HRRecruiting@esd.wa.gov with general questions, or if you are a person with a disability needing assistance in the application process or if you need this job announcement in an alternate format.