State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Operational Business Leader, Customer Relations Deputy Assistant Director - Department of Licensing
at State of Washington
Pay: $106000 to $116400/year
$106000 - $116400
Job Reference #: 2616558
Overall Job Objective
Our purpose: "Helping every Washington resident live, work, drive, and thrive."
Our values: Respect, Trust, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
** If you already applied for this position there is no need to reapply. Your application materials will be considered. **
We are seeking an operational business leader to join our dynamic and evolving agency. This important position will partner with our visionary Customer Relations Division's Assistant Director, and the division leadership team, to drive operational excellence toward supporting and delivering our purpose to help every Washington resident live, work, drive, and thrive.
Picture yourself improving the lives of people in your community and throughout our state, using your business acumen and expertise to lead a team of managers responsible for providing drivers licensing and identification cards, vehicle and vessel licensing, and operating an award winning customer service center.
In this role, you support your leadership team and programs to provide customer service support to 800,000 people annually, driver and identification card services to 4.3 million people in 56 offices across the state, and license and register 8.4 million vehicle and vessels through contracts with 180 vehicle licensing offices serving their communities.
This work involves coaching and leading leaders, operationalizing strategic initiatives, defining priorities, ensuring clear roles and responsibilities, and process and procedures supporting our agency purpose. It also includes ensuring quality improvement in our service of our purpose is continuous, adapting our service delivery methods as needed to eliminate barriers and ensure everyone has equitable access to our services. You lead the way in cultural competence, continually looking outside your world view to challenge assumptions and elevate your understanding, and encouraging others to do the same.
Our ideal candidate is an authentic and transparent leader who inspires and influences others. They are able to clearly articulate vision, purpose, goals, and expectations, and are a calming presence during stressful or difficult situations.
They have a high degree of emotional intelligence and stellar communication skills, knowing when to be direct, assertive, and candid; and when to listen, observe, and assess. They are empathetic and compassionate towards others – tough on issues, not on people. And they are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and social and economic justice.
If you are interested in doing meaningful work at a high level with big impacts, we invite you to apply today!
This is a full-time position that is Exempt from Washington civil service (Band 3). Salary will depend on qualifications.
Prior to a new hire, a background check, including criminal record history, will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Applicants who possess the following qualifications may be referred to the hiring manager:
- Six years of related professional work experience leading operational efforts working with managers and/or supervisors supporting teams in multiple locations OR Four years of related professional work experience AND an Associate's degree OR Two years of related professional work experience AND a Bachelor's degree in Business or Public Administration, or closely related field.
- Five years of experience managing managers, applying servant leadership and management principles.
Applicants who also possess the following may receive additional consideration by the hiring manager:
- Additional related professional work experience.
- Advanced degree in Business or Public Administration, or closely related field.
- Experience leading, developing, and leveraging managers and staff in multiple locations, leading a large customer/public service organization.
- Experience advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, modeling cultural competence.
- Experience communicating effectively with diverse individuals and audiences in a variety of formats, including speaking publicly to large groups, and coaching others to do the same.
- Experience partnering and collaborating at the executive level with internal and external staff and stakeholders.
- Experience developing and implementing holistic, creative, and strategic ideas and initiatives.
- Experience managing significant, complex change in an organization using sound organizational change tools and practices.
- Experience working with government budget, contracts, and human resources.
- Experience interpreting and applying complex laws, rules, and policies.
- Experience working with legislative and rule making process.
- Experience and/or knowledge in service management and customer service delivery models required to achieve operational excellence.
- Experience with business planning, resource management, and budget management.
- Experience acquiring services and/or hardware/software through the RFP and contracting process.
- Experience and/or knowledge of recruitment and performance management practices and strategies.
It is important to note that salary offers are based on qualifications relevant to the position. It is in your best interest to be specific in how you meet and/or exceed each of the qualifications above.
Make a difference. Join our team!
We value diverse perspectives and life experiences. We employ and serve people of all backgrounds including people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and veterans.
We are one of the most public facing state agencies and the second largest revenue generating agency in Washington State. We regularly interact with over 6 million Washingtonians and collect nearly $3.3 billion in taxes and fees annually. We know our services are essential to our customers' ability to live, work, drive, and thrive. We take this responsibility seriously and are committed to ensuring every resident has equitable and meaningful access to our services.
We serve all the people of Washington State with pride and are developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents. Come join us in changing the way government delivers services, and help build a legacy of commitment to and excellence in diversity, equity, and inclusion!
Click here for more information about state benefits and to learn about our agency culture, diversity, equity, and inclusion plans, social responsibility projects and initiatives, and the many additional benefits we offer!
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, the following steps are required:
- Select the large Apply button at the top of this job announcement. If you haven't already done so, you will need to create an applicant profile.
- Upload and attach your cover letter specific to this position and your current resume. Your materials must also include three professional references with name, title, and current contact information. References may be listed in your applicant profile, included on your resume, or uploaded as a separate attachment. Additional references are accepted.
- Answer all of the supplemental questions and be sure that all of your responses are clearly reflected and can be verified in your application materials.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application process, contact the recruiter listed below prior to when this job posting closes AND before you submit your application.
Veteran Preference Notice
To take advantage of veteran preference, please do the following:
- Email a copy of your DD214 (Member 4 copy), NGB 22 or USDVA signed verification of service letter to HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov
- Use a subject line of "VET for CRD Deputy 19-189"
Military Spouse Preference Notice
To take advantage of military spouse preference, please do the following:
- Notify us of your military spouse status by email at HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov
- Use a subject line of "MS for CRD Deputy 19-189"
The candidate pool certified from this recruitment may be used to fill future similar vacancies for up to six months.
The Washington State Department of Licensing is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, sex (including gender identity), marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, national origin, honorably discharged veteran or military status, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. Persons requiring accommodation in the application process, during the recruitment process, or who need this job announcement in an alternative format, may contact the Human Resources Office at 360-902-4000 or may email HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our ASL interpreter via Video Phone at 360.339.7344.
For inquiries about this position, please contact Tod Ayers at 360.902.4056 or email HRRecruit@dol.wa.gov. Please use a subject line that includes "CRD Deputy 19-189".