State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Maintenance Mechanic 3 (In-Training) DOH4738
at State of Washington
- This announcement has been reposted to invite additional applicants. Applicants who applied prior to November 22, 2019, do not need to reapply. Review will be ongoing.
This Maintenance Mechanic provides support to a facility environment by ensuring and supporting the safety of the employees, contractors, vendors and visitors. This individual supports the agency mission by ensuring that the building environment and the equipment in the laboratories and support areas operate at peak performance. This position supports continuous, timely service to agency clients and departmental offices.
This is a full-time, permanent Maintenance Mechanic 3 (MM3) position within the Division of Disease Control and Health Statistics – Public Health Laboratories, Operations section.
This position may be filled at either the MM3 level or Maintenance Mechanic 2 (MM2), in-training to MM3. If hired at the MM2 level, you will be placed into a 12-month in-training plan. Once the training plan is complete you will be promoted to the MM3 level.
This position is located in Shoreline, WA. The salary listed includes 5% premium pay due to the duty station of this position being located in King County.
- MM2: $4,369.05 – $4,949.70 Monthly, DOQ (Range 47G)
- MM3: $4,716.60 – $5,330.85 Monthly, DOQ (Range 50G)
About DOH and our Employer of Choice Initiatives
Washington State Department of Health (DOH) works with federal, state, tribal, and local partners to help people in Washington stay healthy and safe. Our programs and services help prevent illness and injury, promote healthy places to live and work, provide education to help people make good health decisions and ensure our state is prepared for emergencies. To learn more about the agency, visit our website, DOH Infographic, and see what it's like to Work@Health!
DOH is a great place to work and has implemented several "Employer of Choice" initiatives, including:
What will you be doing? – Duties include:
- We are committed to diversity and inclusion. DOH fosters an inclusive environment that encourages all employees to bring their authentic selves to work each day. We strive to hire, develop, and retain a competent and diverse workforce that is reflective of the customers we serve.
- We have an engaging Wellness@Health program which offers programs that support healthy behaviors and work/life balance. Our program provides wellness education, access to healthy food, physical activity classes, stress relief, and many other resources to support a healthy you.
- We support a healthy life/work balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules, and mobile and telework options. (Depending upon job duties.)
- We are making exciting steps towards modernizing our workplace by providing motivating and inspiring workspaces that promote creative thought, innovation, and collaboration among co-workers.
- We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on the long-term health values of breastfeeding newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new mothers, fathers, or legal guardians can bring their infant (6 weeks to 6 months) when returning to work. (Depending upon job duties and work location.)
- Performance of preventive maintenance and repair of all laboratories, mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and steam equipment to include the back-up generator, Chiller systems and HVAC.
- Maintenance of building plumbing, electrical, mechanical, steam, hydraulics, life and fire systems, safety shower and eyewashes and security systems.
- Operate all computerized systems, building automation, keycard access and surveillance systems.
- Corrective maintenance on facility system, work orders & projects and attend meetings.
- Maintain asset inventory and manage surplice items.
What we're looking for
The ideal candidate is a team player, defined as having a driving passion for the work, willing to learn skills to advance themselves and understanding how their words and actions affect others.
To enter at the Maintenance Mechanic 2 level, the following is REQUIRED:
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship in a skilled mechanical trade.
- One (1) or more years of experience as a journey level mechanic in repair and maintenance of buildings and equipment.
To enter at the Maintenance Mechanic 3 level, the following is REQUIRED:
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship in a skilled mechanical trade.
- Two (2) or more years of experience as a journey level mechanic in repair and maintenance of buildings and equipment.
- A valid Building Operator's 1 certificate OR obtain one within one (1) year from hire date.
- Possess a Steam License.
- Possess a valid Vehicle Operator License.
- Demonstrated experience working in a health services or laboratory environment.
Conditions of Employment/Working Conditions
With or without an accommodation, I am willing and able to do the following:
- Work at a tobacco-free campus and environment.
- Occasionally ascends/descends a ladder.
- Frequently move equipment weighing over 50 lbs.
- Occasionally required to perform exterior work in inclement weather removing ice and snow, controlling flooding and working on the roof in all types of weather.
- Work with mechanical equipment, perform minor electrical work, work on Lab equipment, i.e. Fume hoods, Biosafety Cabinets in a "BSL 3" Lab, and work with fuels and chemicals.
- Work Monday – Friday, 40 hours a week.
- On call per facilities rotation schedule.
- Occasionally travel, mostly in state.
This is a position covered by a bargaining unit for which the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE) is the exclusive representative.
The Washington State Department of Health (DOH) is an equal opportunity employer. DOH strives to create a working environment that is inclusive and respectful. It is our policy to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of our workforce.
If you have questions, need alternative formats or other assistance please contact Cher Williams at (360) 236-4545, email@example.com, or TDD Relay at 1-800-833-6384 or 7-1-1. Technical support is provided by NEOGOV, 855-524-5627 (can't log in, password or email issues, error messages).
Intrigued? We'd love to hear from you. Click "Apply" to submit your detailed application profile along with the following:
- A letter of interest, describing how you meet the specific required and desired qualifications for this position
- A current resume.
- Three (3) or more professional references, to be included in your profile. Please include at least one supervisor, peer, and (if you have supervised staff) a subordinate.
Do not attach transcripts or other documents that are not requested in the Application Process. These documents will not be forwarded to the hiring manager.
- Supplemental Information
Only applicants who follow the directions and complete the Application Process in-full will have their responses reviewed for consideration.
Education and experience selected, listed and/or detailed in the Supplemental Questions must be verifiable on the detailed applicant profile submitted.
This recruitment may be used to fill other positions of the same job classification within the agency.