State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
L&I Safety & Health Specialist 4, Region 2
at State of Washington
Our Mission: Keep Washington Safe and Working! Our Values: Customer Focus, One L&I, Respect, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Learning and Growth, Reliability.
Please Note: The duty station for this position can be flexible within Tukwila, Bellevue or Seattle.
Washington is America's Top State according to U.S. News (2019) and we provide one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. Here at the Department of Labor & Industries (L&I), we believe that your voice matters. We value our employees and offer flexible schedules that respect your work/life balance. In addition, L&I is a diverse state agency dedicated to the safety and health and security of Washington's 3 million workers. Learn more about L&I, the employer of choice here.
Do you value worker safety to stop an unsafe act before it causes an injury? As a Safety Compliance Supervisor, you will coach and mentor our safety compliance staff in conducting workplace inspections and ensuring hazards are corrected before workers get hurt. We need someone with the ability to maintain a cohesive and high-performing team by proactively managing expectations, strengths and needs of your team. You will also review and correct written reports and proposed penalties for technical accuracy and legal sufficiency.
Gain job satisfaction by knowing that because of what you do, more people will go home to their families every day. Our mission is the heart of our organization and central to how we do business. Your passion for employee safety and health translates into action when you join our mission, "Keep Washington Safe and Working", to ensure all employees are provided a safe and healthy work environment.
Please Note: WFSE CBA 42.21 King County Premium Pay
Employees assigned to a permanent duty station in King County will receive five (5) percent Premium Pay calculated from their base salary. When an employee is no longer permanently assigned to a King County duty station they will not be eligible for this premium pay.
Some of what you will do:
- Supervise a work unit with multiple safety and health specialists and provide technical guidance and development.
- Ensure that fatalities, catastrophes and other high profile accident investigations are initiated as promptly as possible.
- Evaluate all inspection reports for accuracy, consistency and compliance with policies, and assist as needed.
- Measure employee performance, develop and prepare training plans, coach and mentor staff.
- Provide technical assistance on complex matters and public relations.
- Work closely with other DOSH supervisors and managers in Region to ensure consistency with hazard identification, prevention, and working collaboratively with outside stakeholders.
- Plan for future workload issues, analyze and modify expenditures and budgeted allocations to ensure cost control in adherence to program decisions.
- Perform opening conferences with employers and employee representatives; review written materials, data sheets, reports and records provided.
- Act as Property Officer in charge of all equipment assigned to staff.
- Develop and administer plans, and manage the integrity and quality of regional safety compliance (DOSH) activities.
- Assist in defending citations at appeal hearings.
- Supervisory or lead experience in a regulatory compliance environment AND four years as a Labor and Industries Safety and Health Specialist or Industrial Hygienist.
- A Bachelor's degree AND four years of experience as a safety and health officer, consultant, inspector, or related experience.
- Thorough understanding of both WISHA (WA Industrial Safety & Health Administration) and OSHA (federal government's Occupational Safety & Health Administration) rules and regulations. Able to explain to customers what their businesses must do to comply with these regulations.
- Bilingual persons of all languages are encouraged to apply. Bilingual jobs include a 5% salary increase for dual language responsibilities.
- Supplemental Information
The top candidates will be contacted directly to interview for this position. Because the selection will be based on information provided by you, it is in your best interest to identify the knowledge, skills and abilities that address the mandatory and desirable qualifications described below.
Please include the following documents with your application:
1. A letter of interest describing specific qualifications.
2. A current resume detailing applicable experience and education.
3. A list of at least three professional references with current telephone numbers.
- Prior to any new hire into L&I, a background check, including criminal record history, will be conducted.
- This position is represented by the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE).
- Employees driving on state business shall have a valid driver's license. If driving a privately owned vehicle on state business, must be insured.
- Candidates who are offered a job with L&I must possess work authorization which does not require sponsorship by the employer for a visa now or in the future.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our award-winning diverse and inclusive organization.
If you have any questions regarding this announcement, program, or the agency please contact Ashley Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.