State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
IT Project Management Manager (2019-11280)
at State of Washington
**** PLEASE NOTE: This job is posted continuously and will remain open until a selection is made. Application review will be ongoing, and therefore we encourage you to submit your application materials as soon as possible. The Hiring Manager reserves the right to close the posting at any time once a selection has been made. ****
Here's your opportunity to be a key part of how we live our vision and BUILD the nation's best and most future ready workforce – starting right at ESD!
Who We Are
Here at the Employment Security Department (ESD), we believe in the Power to Help when people need it most. We provide economic security to the people of Washington every day and in every corner of the state. We help people find jobs, bridge gaps in employment and soon we'll be providing paid family medical leave.
Why bring your talent to ESD?
At ESD we value Collaboration, Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Innovation, and Integrity, Investing in our people and Service with Kindness. We have a flexible work environment that respects your work/life balance, ensures your voice matters, and values a diverse workforce dedicated to the Power to Help when people need it most.
About the IT Project Management Office (ITPMO). The ITPMO is part of the Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO). The ITPMO defines and maintains standards for project management for Information Technology (IT) projects for the agency. The ITPMO is responsible for managing the IT Project Portfolio, and the IT Governance process.
The ITPMO is staffed with a six-person team of project managers who actively manage enterprise projects with IT components. This position reports to the Director of the EPMO.
This position serves as ESD's subject matter expert for IT project management methodologies and practices. As the IT Project Management Manager, you'll provide leadership, guidance to the IT project managers, and oversight for all projects in the IT Project Portfolio. The projects managed by the ITPMO include mission critical systems that enable payment of unemployment benefits, support job seekers, and collect taxes. In addition, this position is also responsible for the administration of the IT Governance process and ensuring that investments in technologies and technology projects are successful using project management tools for monitoring, risk mitigation, issue resolution and reporting.
Some of what you will do
- Manage the IT Project Management Office (ITPMO).
- Supervise ITPMO staff of six.
- Provide day to day guidance, direction and leadership to project teams.
- Develop and manage project management framework, guidelines, standards, tools and training.
- Ensure ITPMO work products meet the project and organizational needs and meets quality standards.
- Participate and lead contracting and procurement processes for IT projects.
- Communicate project related issues and risks with recommended solutions.
- Develop and report on team performance measures.
- Manage enterprise and high-risk projects with IT components.
- Create a collaborative culture and effective communication between project team members (technical and business resources).
- Direct the work of the project team members.
- Provide consulting and oversight on IT project management methodologies and practices.
- Use project management expertise to recommend appropriate methodologies (agile, waterfall, iterative, etc.) to achieve project outcomes.
- Provide guidance and direction on best practices for system requirements.
- Monitor active IT projects to ensure appropriate stakeholder engagement.
- Manage the IT Project Portfolio and Governance.
- Complete long-range project and portfolio planning.
- Act as a critical liaison across functional teams for project managers, including vendor management.
- Manage and track large and complex budgets for enterprise technology projects.
- Manage the IT Project Management Office (ITPMO).
Who should apply/Qualifications
We seek individuals with a bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field. Ten years of experience managing complex, high value technology projects with demonstrated successful results using industry standard methodologies (PMBOX, Agile, and Scrum). Or a combination of education and/or relevant IT experience.
Ten years of experience should include:
- Demonstrated ability to research, plan, develop, and apply standard methods for IT project management using industry standards.
- Five years' experience managing complex stakeholder relationships including engagement with state authorizing environment.
- Seven years' experience using project and portfolio management tools such as Project Server or Apptio).
- Experience supervising/managing/leading professional IT staff.
- Experience managing an enterprise level IT Project Management Office and project portfolio.
- Project Management Training/Certification.
- Project Management Professional (PMP).
- Supplemental Information
In addition to a complete application, attach the following documents to your on-line application (through the Add Attachment(s) field):
- Letter of interest/cover letter describing how you meet the requirements of the position
Applications with comments such as "see attachments" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
More than Just a Paycheck! Washington State offers one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. To read more about our benefits, click on the following employee benefit links:
- Benefits (insurance, retirement, and related benefits)
- Vacation, Leave, and Holidays
- Special Programs (additional benefits)
- This recruitment may be used to establish a qualified pool of Workforce Monitor candidates for agency-wide vacancies in the next six months.
- The Employment Security Department is an equal opportunity employer/program. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
- If you are having technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application, please contact email@example.com or (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference must attach a copy of their DD214 or other verification of military service. Please black out any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers.
Thank you for your service!
ESD's employee engagement continued to trend upward in 2018 as we developed programs to improve the employee experience. We are diligent and remain focused on creating a modern workplace designed to meet the needs of a changing workforce. We have wellness programs, telework policies and flexible schedules and are working to update our facilities all over the state to enhance both the client and employee experience.
Opportunity for All
The Washington Employment Security Department is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Please include your name and preferred pronouns in your application, to ensure we address you appropriately throughout the application process.
Questions: Please contact Phyllis Gallegos on the Talent Acquisition Team at 360-902-9455, Pgallegos@esd.wa.gov, HRRecruiting@esd.wa.gov, or Washington Relay Service 711 with general questions, if you are a person with a disability needing assistance in the application process, or if you need this job announcement in an alternate format.