State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
IT Network & Telecommunications - Journey
at State of Washington
IT Network & Telecommunications/Journey
** To be considered for the first round of interviews please have your applications submitted no later than October 27, 2019**
The Department of Corrections is seeking a highly motivated and qualified individual to take on the dynamic role of a Network Administrator in the IT Network & Telecommunications job family at the Journey level for our Information Technology Unit. This is a full-time, permanent position located at Department of Corrections Headquarters in Tumwater, Washington.
Our mission at the Department of Corrections (DOC) is to 'improve public safety'. With a vast number of innovative sustainability programs, and evidence-based practices used to reduce recidivism, Washington State is highly regarded as a strong leader in the field of Corrections. For additional information about our agency, please visit doc.wa.gov.
The position performs journey technical level network administrator providing operational Data Network Services (DNS) support. The DNS team consists of nine staff –architect, operations lead, two architect change leaders, and five operations team members. Uses best practices to achieve the delivery of agreed levels of services to both end-users and customers. Within the organizational structure, the position plays a significant role where the services provided are directly delivered to the customers. This position is within the Operations group, under the Deputy of Technology. DNS provides Data Networking for wide area networks, campus networks, cloud networks, and data center networks support to all DOC Agency-wide locations.
This position serves as a journey-level DNS network administrator. By maintaining, implementing and supporting highly available infrastructure, this position helps maintain core correctional operations and improves business practices and performance in support of the agency mission of improving public safety. This position provides journey level experience in data networking, wide area networks, troubleshooting, and LAN technologies. This position ensures that our multivendor infrastructure (Cisco, Aruba, VMWare, and Meraki) that supports the DOC is stable, operational, addresses outages/service degradation, and is properly maintained to be aligned with industry best practices.
To be considered for this position, please attach the following to your online application:
- A detailed, chronological resume, and
- Letter of Interest that outlines how you meet the qualifications for this position
- A minimum of three (3) professional references with your application. A professional reference is defined as an individual who has been paid to supervise your work and can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job competencies.
Key responsibilities of an IT Network and Telecommunications include, but are not limited to:
Provide technical journey level operational support in all aspects of Data Networking to establish and maintain repeatable operational tasks in support the DNS operations team.
- Audits and troubleshoots service availability, performance, functionality, integrity and efficiency.
- Accurately administer maintain and monitor enterprise data networking and related systems.
- Trouble ticketing system and collaborates with other workgroup teams to complete work requests.
- Applies clear and concise updates for work performed including time worked and communications with customers on status.
- Accurately tracks, monitors and reconciles ongoing operational tasking. Prioritizes work within team and enlists outside teams to ensure that critical business operations are maintained and/or restored.
- Performs equipment lifecycle and replacement of end of life and out of standard network hardware. This greatly aids in the overall integrity of the DOC network and reduces the duration of equipment related outages.
- Accurately tracks or surpluses in service and end of life equipment to ensure chain of custody and positive control of DOC equipment is maintained.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Three (3) years' experience in data networking which may include, but is not limited to any of the following: Customer support of data networking equipment; ability to troubleshoot, diagnose and resolve customer issues for data networks; and coordinate Vendor and IT colleagues support of IT systems.*
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Knowledge of measures or indicators of system performance and availability.
- Knowledge of data network engineering concepts.
- Knowledge of network technologies and configuration development and maintenance.
- Skill in conducting data network management, and maintenance.
- Skill in correcting technical problems that impact system performance.
- Skill in diagnosing failed networking components.
- Three (3) years' technical work experience engineering wide area networks.
- Three (3) years' technical work experience engineering campus data networks.
- Three (3) years' technical work experience engineering Cisco/Aruba networking platforms.
- Two (2) years of information technical education.
- Certifications such Cisco CCENT
- Supplemental Information
'The mission of DOC is to improve public safety.'
For additional information about the agency, please visit doc.wa.gov.
- Please include a minimum of three professional references with your application. A professional reference is defined as an individual who has been paid to supervise your work and can attest to your work performance, technical skills, and job competencies. If you do not have any or sufficient professional references, please include non-related professionals, such as educators or other professional associates.
- Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
- Employees may work directly with or in close proximity to incarcerated individuals in a potentially hazardous setting. Please consider this when deciding whether to apply.
- We are committed to maintaining a drug and alcohol free work environment, and our employees are expected to comply with all state and federal laws. A pre-employment drug test may be administered as part of the selection process, and applicants who test positive for any controlled substances, will be disqualified from consideration.
- Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) is an aerosol pepper spray made available as a means of self-defense and/or de-escalation. Applicants with sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Animal care projects are a common component of most Washington State prisons, including dog and cat programs. Applicants with animal sensitivities or allergies are encouraged to ask about the level of exposure they could expect in this position.
- Tuberculosis (TB) is a priority health issue for DOC employees. The successful candidate may be required to provide valid proof of a baseline TB skin test within 60 days from the date of hire. When positive tests result, further information, testing and treatment may also be required. Employment is not contingent upon test results.
- This position may be represented by a Union Shop.
- Foster a positive attitude and openness toward the ever changing social and cultural makeup of the workplace.
- Work effectively with people of different perspectives, abilities, disabilities, races, religions, ages, genders, sexual orientations, and social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
- Respectfully acknowledge people's differences and recognize these differences as important and valuable.
- Promote inclusiveness.
- Be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
- Respect and value diverse backgrounds and traditions.
For questions about this recruitment, or to request reasonable accommodation in the application process, please email email@example.com or call us at (360) 725-8459. For TTY service, please call the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.