State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
HVAC Technician (Stationary Engineer 3) - NON-PERM
at State of Washington
Job Status: Full Time,Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 2623618
Overall Job Objective
HVAC Technician (Stationary Engineer 3)
Note: This non-perm appointment is expected to last approximately one year.
Within the Department of Enterprise Services (DES), the Buildings & Grounds Division (B&G) is responsible for Capitol Campus operations, stewardship and historic preservation. B&G maintains, operates and preserves the 486-acre state Capitol Campus in Olympia, including more than 26 buildings, 18 public monuments, four state parks and a 260-acre lake. B&G executes these responsibilities through the following service programs: Facilities Operations, Grounds Operations, Maintenance & Repairs, and Support Services.
Who we are looking for:
As a HVAC Technician (Stationary Engineer 3) within the Maintenance & Repairs team, you will perform skilled installation, maintenance, alterations and repair work on HVAC systems for DES owned facilities in Thurston County. You will insure that all in-house work is performed in a safe, organized and professional manner and that the work meets all national, state and local building codes. You will interact with building tenants, property and tenant facility managers, B&G trade staff, vendors, contractors, and visitors of the Capitol Campus. Ideally, you will be a highly motivated person that enjoys a fast-paced environment in a progressive organization that embraces change and continued improvements to processes and efficiencies. You need to be an energetic team player that is a great listener and motivator that promotes different ideas and innovative ways to creative thinking that inspires changes to existing processes and new ways to do business. You must have the ability to think "on the fly" and make decisions to manage work productively.
Why you would want this job:
Be a part of Washington State history and bring your skills to the historical Capitol Campus where YOU will make a lasting difference. A Capitol Campus work life provides a stable location, set hours, steady employment, opportunities to learn and grow, a culture of safety and the tools you need to get the job done.
Additionally, Washington State employment offers one of the most competitive benefits packages in the nation. We offer a great selection of health and retirement plans, paid leave, and opportunities for growth and development .
Who we are:
At the Department of Enterprise Services, we passionately pursue our vision of:
- Satisfied customers,
- Satisfied team members, and
- Financial health.
We listen to customers and team members to understand what they need and expect. We promote creativity, learning, and improvement to meet those needs and adapt to the ever-changing business environment. We measure our results and seek feedback to improve our performance. We value respect, integrity, excellence, diversity, equity, positivity and inclusion, and seek new team members that share those values.
NOTE: This posting is open until filled. The Hiring Manager may make a hiring decision at any time and it is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Performing installation, maintenance, diagnosis, and repair of steam heating system components including, but not limited to high-pressure steam boilers, central steam distribution system and auxiliary equipment such as air handlers, variable air volume units, airflow dampers, V belts, sheaves, pulleys, and bearings
- Maintaining and repairing commercial refrigeration equipment used in air conditioning, ventilation, and chilled water systems
- Inspecting, maintaining and repairing heating, water, cooling, refrigeration, plumbing, and sewer systems
- Repairing relays, timers, meters, and switches with local or remote computer control
- Monitoring and adjusting heat and air conditioning in buildings using automated building monitoring and control systems
- Monitoring, analyzing, adjusting, maintaining and troubleshooting building HVAC control systems that include electrical, electronic, and pneumatic sensors and actuators
- Laying out, fabricating, and installing mechanical, pneumatic, electrical, and electronic temperature and humidity controls for heating and ventilation systems
- Developing cost estimates of labor and materials needed for building maintenance, alteration, or remodeling projects
- Attending shop, division, and agency meetings as necessary
- Providing information for and assisting in shop reports
This position works primarily indoors with some outdoor work that can be under adverse weather conditions. The work schedule is 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday. Travel is infrequent.
** This position has been designated as "essential" for disaster or emergency recovery and is required to support any emergency situations that affect any of the DES owned properties.
- High school diploma or GED required, AND
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship in refrigeration or steam fitting trades
- OR -
- Full journey-level status in a Plumbers or Steamfitters union
- OR -
- Five (5) years of applicable experience in the refrigeration or steam fitting trades or a combination of the two. **Vocational or trade school training as a steamfitter of refrigeration mechanic will substitute, year for year, for work experience up to a maximum of two years
- OR -
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship program for heating, ventilation and air conditioning
LICENSE & CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENT:
- Possession of a current EL-06A License issued by the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries, AND
- Possession of a current EPA universal refrigerant handling certification, AND
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license, free from serious traffic violations
The most successful candidates will also possess the following:
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Ability to perform skilled HVAC work
- Knowledge of standard practices, methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in the HVAC trade
- Knowledge of current HVAC, electrical codes and electrical safety precautions
- Ability to work from blueprints, plans and sketches, and estimate labor and materials required to accomplish work
- Experience in the use of hand and power tools required to accomplish HVAC work
- Adaptability to Change
- Effective Communication Skills
- Creative and Innovative Thinking
- Customer Focus
- Ethics and Integrity
- Performance Leadership
- Results Orientation
- Supplemental Information
You must provide the information below; failure to do so may result in not being considered for this position:
- A letter of interest to describe why you are the best candidate and how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- Current resume, detailing experience, and education; and
- A current list of at least three (3) professional references with current contact information (attached or available to provide at the time of interview)
By submitting these materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
Note: This position is in a bargaining unit and falls under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the state of Washington and the Washington Federation for State Employees (WFSE).
Prior to any new appointment into the Department of Enterprise Services, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUST attach a copy of their DD214, or other verification of military service. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers. For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible, click here.
Military Spouse Preference:
To take advantage of military spouse preference, you will have an opportunity to identify your status in the questionnaire.
We thank you and are grateful for your service!
The Department of Enterprise Services celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our organization.
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Jennifer McWaid at (360) 407-8210 or email@example.com.