State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Highway Maintenance Worker - Area 3 (Non-Permanent)
at State of Washington
** NOTE: The recruiting efforts for this position may be extended beyond the displayed closing date for as long and until all available positions have been filled. Applications will be evaluated weekly throughout this recruitment process, with the first review date on September 17, 2019. The hiring authority reserves the right to offer positions at any time. It is to your advantage to apply as early as possible!
The North Central Region, is looking for motivated and hardworking individuals to fill multiple Non-Permanent Highway Maintenance Worker positions for the winter maintenance season.
This opportunity is for positions in Maintenance Area 3, which includes Okanogan, Electric City, Coulee City, Twisp, Tonasket, Brewster, and Mansfield.
Highway Maintenance Workers provide for the safe travel of goods, services, and people by way of maintaining state highways, roadsides, infrastructure, and right of way.
In this role you will perform a variety of skilled labor, such as snow and ice control operations using 2 and 3 axle trucks; plowing snow, applying sand and chemical deicers to the roadway, and providing traffic control as needed. This position will also be responsible for loading sand and chemicals into trucks with 1-4 yard loaders, as well as installing and changing attachments on equipment.
The ideal candidate for these positions will have the ability to work in all adverse weather conditions, be safety conscious, and available to work day and night shifts, overtime, and respond to emergent call-outs. WSDOT maintenance personnel are expected to respond quickly to clear highways of hazards to ensure the public has seamless access to all roadways and highways.
There are two (2) levels of Highway Maintenance Worker positions available, based on qualifications:
Highway Maintenance Worker 2 ($22.25 - $27.09 Hourly) Requires:
- Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class A, without air brakes restriction, and a current medial card.
- Two (2) years highway maintenance, roadway construction, operating a truck (26,000 GVW or above), or operating heavy equipment while performing work; such as, landscaping, farming, forestry, construction, or other related experience.
- Commercial Driver License (CDL) Class A or B, without air brakes restriction, and a current medial card.
- One (1) year of experience in highway engineering, highway maintenance, operating a truck (26,000 GVW or above), or operating heavy equipment while performing work such as landscaping, farming, forestry, construction, or other related field.
At WSDOT, we honor diversity in the workplace and support one another with respect and trust. If you would like to join our team-oriented environment and enjoy a continuously changing environment, and a great deal of career stability and growth, definitely consider a career opportunity with WSDOT.
To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following:
- Proficiently operate a variety of highway maintenance equipment safely and efficiently.
- Apply anti-icing compounds, and remove snow and ice from road surfaces; which include operation of heavy equipment; such as snowplows, deicer trucks, front-end loaders, and other snow and ice removal equipment.
- Follow traffic control plans and perform traffic control operations; which require standing for long periods of time through work zones and/or vehicle accidents.
- Respond to emergency call outs, and work extended shifts on short notice (days, nights, holidays, and weekends).
- Provide excellent customer service when interacting with the traveling public.
- Lift and manipulate up to 50 pounds of various materials in inclement weather; while traversing uneven and steep terrain adjacent to traffic and heavy equipment.
An ideal candidate for this position shall have the following:
ORTwo (2) years' experience as a Highway Maintenance Worker 1, with completed In-Training Plan.
- High School Diploma or GED (must be 18 years of age at time of appointment).
- Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A or Class B, with N (cargo/tanker) endorsement without airbrake restrictions and current medical card.
- Two (2) years highway maintenance, roadway construction, or related experience.
ORTwo years' experience driving 26,000 GVW trucks and equipment in the landscaping, forestry, farming, construction industries, or equivalent.
In addition to:
- Knowledge of heavy equipment used and experience in roadway maintenance.
- Experience in traffic control including planning, setting up signage, and flagging.
- The ability to lift and manipulate up to 50 pounds of various materials in inclement weather; while traversing uneven and steep terrain adjacent to traffic and heavy equipment using normal ranges of sight and hearing.
- The ability to climb ladders, climb in and out of equipment, work at varying height levels, and in confined spaces.
- Ability to work any shift including evenings and weekends to meet deadlines and required job functions.
- Effective communication skills with diverse groups utilizing oral, written, and electronic communication methods.
- Basic computer skills to communicate, capture, and retrieve information.
Preferred education, skills, and experience include the following:
- Tanker Endorsement
- First Aid Certification.
- Flagger Certification.
- Knowledge of WSDOT highway maintenance practices and policies.
How to Apply:
Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "APPLY" button at the top of this announcement. (Note: You may be prompted to set up an account profile if you do not already have one).
Your experience will be used to determine salary. Therefore, it is very important that the Work History portion of the application be completed in as much detail as possible.
Condition of Employment:
The Department of Transportation is committed to an alcohol and drug free workplace. These positions are subject to the drug and alcohol testing requirements of the Federal Highway Administration. For more information, please go to: DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Renee Mason via email to email@example.com. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-NCR-Area3-np.
Washington State Department of Transportation is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, and disabled and Vietnam era veterans are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may call or email the recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov