State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Deputy Director - Chief Operating Officer
at State of Washington
**This position will remain open until filled. The hiring authority may make a hiring decision at any time. Initial screening will begin November 11th, 2019. It is to the applicant's advantage to submit materials as soon as possible.
Overview of Position:
The Department of Commerce (COM) is looking for a dynamic and committed Deputy Director/Chief Operating Officer to complement our Director in leading the agency's mission of strengthening communities and the on-going cultivation of a healthy agency culture embodied by the values of trust, collaboration, and creativity.
Our Deputy Director/Chief Operating Office is a dynamic and strategic leader, providing day-to-day operational oversight of the organizations internal operations. This position ensures compliance with state laws and procedures, sound internal practices, agency accountability and process improvement, effective implementation of programs administered by the agency, and planning for a successful future to an agency of around 350 employees, statewide.
Our preferred candidate is a leader for the agency's process improvement, change management, metrics and accountability work, including coordinating these activities with the Governor's priorities, insuring compliance with Executive orders, cooperation and compliance with legislatively mandated reports, and other enterprise projects and initiatives.
- Reporting to the agency Director, ensures Commerce's daily business operations are efficient, effective and accountable.
- Ensures the agency meets its statutory requirements, performance measures, revenue commitments and budgetary constraints.
- Establishes and develops a results-oriented leadership climate for over 350 employees at 3 locations statewide.
- Serves as executive sponsor and leader for the agency's process improvement, change management, metrics and accountability work, including coordinating these activities with the Governor's priorities, insuring compliance with Executive orders, cooperation and compliance with legislatively mandated reports, and other enterprise projects and initiatives.
- Oversees the operational implementation and development of major policy initiatives.
- Responsible for the internal operations of the agency in the areas including, but not limited to accounting and budgeting, planning, human resources, internal communications and operations and facilities management.
- Oversees, in consultation with the Director, the budget and operations of the Director's office.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight of our performance management system.
- Champions Commerce's vision, mission, values, and culture.
- Creates a positive work environment, positioning Commerce as an employer of choice.
- Engages in organizational change leadership with a focus on increasing customer value.
Applicants who possess the following qualifications may be referred to the hiring manager:
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree
- Extensive executive management level experience including management of other management level positions.
- The ability to plan, lead, organize and control the internal operations of the agency; to ensure appropriate and optimum use of the organization's resources and enhance the effectiveness of employees through timely appraisal and professional development opportunities; to support effective communications throughout the organization; and to maintain the highest standards of personal/professional and ethical conduct and support the State's goals for a diverse workforce.
- Understanding of the legislative processes and operating in a political environment. Must have experience building and maintaining relationships with constituent groups, such as city and county officials, nonprofit service providers, other state agencies and legislators.
- Knowledge of contemporary management techniques, ability to provide leadership and direction to managers and staff. Must have experience managing, developing and mentoring a large, complex budget and excellent written, oral and public speaking skills.
- Experience in policy development and execution; the ability to articulate ill-defined problems and orchestrate a team to implement plans to address and resolve the same; and the ability to work with a wide array of stakeholders including the Governor's office, the legislature, Commerce leadership, other agencies, companies, associations.
Applicants who also possess the following may receive additional consideration by the hiring manager:
- Undergraduate degree in public administration, organization development or similar field, graduate degree in the same and extensive familiarity with public employment and state government.
- Direct experience in Human Resources, Internal Communication, Operations/Facilities, and/or Budget/Accounting areas will be valuable.
- Experience with LEAN and/or other process improvement techniques.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to understand and appropriately respond to complex stakeholder, customer, employee, and management issues.
- Ability to build credible and trusted relationships with diverse communities, staff, and state leaders.
- Skilled in effectively and respectfully facilitating stakeholder groups with diverse perspectives.
- Expert level knowledge of strategic and operational planning in a diverse organization.
- Experience working with lawmakers and rulemaking processes.
- Experience developing business goals and leveraging relationships to support those goals.
- Ability to collaborate and problem-solve with stakeholders and customers in a political environment.
- Experience working collaboratively with union representatives regarding represented employees.
- Supplemental Information
I want to work for Commerce! How do I apply?
In addition to completing the online application and answering the supplemental questions, to be considered for this vacancy, the following steps are required:
- Select the large Apply button at the top of this job announcement. If you haven't already done so, you will need to create an applicant profile.
- Upload and attach the following documents to your applicant profile:
- Letter of interest stating your interest in this position.
- Current resume, chronological preferred, stating your qualifications related to this position.
- List of three professional references including name, title and current contact information (additional references are accepted).
The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified and documentation may be required.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the application process, contact the recruiter listed below prior to when this job posting closes AND before you submit your application.
For questions about this recruitment, please contact Lindsey Henderson at 360-725-2652 or Lindsey.Henderson@Commerce.wa.gov.
Who we are:
At Commerce, we're a little different. But for you, it might just be the perfect fit. We're a state agency but operate like a business with the understanding we need to know our customer's needs to fulfill them. Our Olympia offices are open Monday through Friday (flexible schedules are available). Our parking is free and many of our employees bike year round.
Washington State offers commuting programs, including free, subsidized and reduced public transportation incentives. There are approximately 350 employees in our agency. We are committed to our work and value balance in our personal lives. We hire people for a position and encourage them to train for growth opportunities.
If this sounds like a good fit for you and you meet the qualifications, we encourage you to apply today!
What we do:
We are the lead state agency charged with strengthening communities. We administer a diverse portfolio of programs and services, and we support several state boards and commissions.
Our key customers include businesses, local governments and community-based organizations. We also play the crucial role of convening numerous local, state, regional and federal partners and stakeholders, public and private. Together we work to support the Governor's priorities and achieve shared goals and objectives for the citizens of Washington.
Where we work:
Commerce's main office is located in Olympia; however we also have locations in downtown Seattle and Spokane.
As the state's capitol, Olympia is located off Interstate 5 at the south end of the Puget Sound roughly half-way between Seattle and Portland, and less than a two hour drive to the coast, temperate rainforest, mountains, urban city, or farmlands. With year-round art festivals, parades, theater shows, concerts, and community events, Olympia and its surrounding cities have something for everyone. For parents, it boasts some of the best schools in the nation and the renowned HandsOn Children's Museum. Home to two universities (The Evergreen State College and Saint Martin's University), Olympia residents also have the opportunity to pursue a degree while working!
Spokane is located in the heart of the Inland Northwest and is the second most populous city in Washington. The Spokane River runs through the city and beautiful Riverfront Park in downtown Spokane. An array of enjoyable outdoor activities are right out our back door; including ski resorts, white-water rafting, camping areas, hiking trails, lakes, and the Centennial trail. Amazed by the arts? Show some love to your artistic side with a trip to the Spokane Region. Broadway performances, intriguing art galleries, world-class museums and powerful stage performances are waiting to be discovered.
Being surrounded by greenery year round has earned the Seattle the nickname of the Emerald City. Seattle is an exciting urban city surrounded by unmatched natural beauty with a wide variety of outdoor attractions within the city such as Discovery Park and Olympic Sculpture Park. Feel like getting away from the city? Seattle is centrally located surrounded by the Puget Sound and miles of hiking trails within driving distance. Seattle is home to a variety of attractions to include the Seattle Art Museum, Pike Place Market, and historic Pioneer Square. Art and Culture more your style? Seattle is home to more than 100 theater companies, the Seattle Symphony, as well as museums and galleries. Sports enthusiast? Seattle is home to professional football, soccer and baseball teams as well as a variety of collegiate sports to choose from.
The Washington State Department of Commerce complies with the employment eligibility verification requirements of the federal Form I-9. The selected candidate must be able to provide proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States consistent with the requirements of that form on the first day of employment.
The Washington State Department of Commerce is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientation and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, veterans or people with military status, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons needing accommodation in the application, testing, or interview process or this job announcement in an alternative format may call Human Resources at (360) 725-2650. Applicants who are deaf or hard of hearing may call through the Washington Relay Service by dialing 7-1-1 or 1-800-833-6388.