State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
DCYF Database Administrator (ITS5) - Olympia
at State of Washington
The Department of Children, Youth, and Families is a new cabinet agency in Washington State that has been established for the purpose of delivering existing services in a way that produces better outcomes for children, youth, and families served by the State of Washington.
Our vision is that "All Washington's children and youth grow up safe and healthy-thriving physically, emotionally, and educationally, nurtured by family and community."
DCYF is seeking a highly motivated and qualified IT Specialist 5 (ITS 5) that shares the same ideals and convictions we do. This position ensures the database system meets performance and availability requirements, business use requirements and agency standards including ensuring all database and database server backups meet agency recovery point objectives.
- Establish and maintain sound backup and recovery policies and procedures and perform database backup and recovery.
- Implement and maintain database security such as create and maintain users and roles and assign privileges.
- Develop and maintain database documentation, standards and guidelines.
- Perform code migration, database change management and data management through the various stages of the development life cycle.
- Coordinate with Configuration Management and Release Management processes to perform build and deployments.
- Create database SQL jobs for database related batch activities including creating and maintaining database schemas and user defined object, writing complex queries, functions, triggers, views and stored procedures using T-SQL.
- Review changes being made to database programs, functions, procedures, and packages before they are implemented to production database.
- Plan, coordinate and implement security measures to safeguard information against accidental or unauthorized damage, modification or disclosure.
- Delivers informative, well organized data analyze and presentations.
- Provide quality assurance to software development team in adopting and executing best practices for database related work.
- Assists in the facilitation of work processes within the Infrastructure Team, Project Manager, Release Manager, Development Team, Testing Team, Training, Database Team and Functional Team as well as external organizations such as ISSD and CTS.
What we are looking for:
Bachelor's degree or higher, preferred major computer science, data management, information systems or related field from an accredited college or university whose accreditation is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or the Council for Higher Education (CHEA).
Four years of recent work experience with Database Administration for Microsoft SQL Server technologies.
Four years of recent work experience troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, log issues, connectivity and security issues, etc.
Four years of recent work experience with database security, backups, restores and recovery models.
Experience within information technology such as consulting, analyzing, designing, programming, installing and/or maintaining computer software applications, hardware, telecommunications or network infrastructure equipment, directing projects, providing customer or technical support may substitute for Bachelor's degree on the basis of one year of experience towards two years of education.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Use Microsoft Office software including Microsoft Project, Visio, Word, Excel, SharePoint and PowerPoint
- Understand how to use tools such as SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and SQL Server Integrations Services (SSIS).
- Ability to communicate within all levels and across groups within the organization.
- Interact with all types of end users and technical resources.
- Work collaboratively with individuals and teams.
- Multi-task against disparate projects and timelines to provide comprehensive support and completion to all the moving parts of each project.
- Assist with proactively identifying risks, issues, and bottlenecks.
- Understand complex technical concepts and translate them into business terms when working with business staff.
- Understand and follow agency policies.
- Use good judgment and make appropriate decisions.
- Build and maintain effective business relationships.
- Resolve conflict.
- Understand a unique technical environment.
- Demonstrates problem solving, negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Focus on customer satisfaction through professional quality service, promptly addressing customer issues, and follow-up resolution.
- Establish trust and credibility at all levels of the organization.
- Recommend solutions to conflict issues impacting projects and between multiple teams.
- Provides development support and strategy for various production applications.
In addition to those required qualifications, our ideal applicant will also have some or all of the following:
- Experience facilitating diverse work teams
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong focus on implementation details.
- Strong presentation and client facing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, and teamwork skills.
- Self-direction, confidence, effective communication and presentation skills.
- Excellence at developing and managing requirements for multiple projects.
- Capability to get results in a fast paced, complex, often ambiguous environment.
- Ability to analyze data, spot trends, and address barriers.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Willingness to travel if required.
How do I apply?
In addition to completing the online application, applicants must attach the following documents to their profile in order to be considered for this position:
- Letter of interest describing how you meet the specific qualifications for this position
- Current resume detailing experience and education
- A list of at least 3 professional references including names, professional titles, and current phone numbers.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
The initial screening will be based on the content and completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified and documentation may be required. Applications with comments such as "see attachments" or "N/A" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
DCYF is an equal opportunity employer and supports equity, diversity, inclusion and respect.
Need accommodation throughout the application/interview process? Unable to apply on-line? Contact the Recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 407-1429 or the Telecommunications Device for the Deaf at 800-833-6388
Experiencing technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application? Call NEOGOV toll-free at (855)524-5627 or email email@example.com.
To take advantage of Veteran's preference please attach your DD-214, member 4 long form, or your NGB-22.Please black out your social security number prior to attaching.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the position.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate 'how'.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.
01076 VH26 5380 SN30