State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
DCYF Cook 2 - Olympia
at State of Washington
The Department of Children, Youth, and Families is a new cabinet agency in Washington State that has been established for the purpose of delivering existing services in a way that produces better outcomes for children, youth, and families served by the State of Washington.
Our vision is that "All Washington's children and youth grow up safe and healthy-thriving physically, emotionally, and educationally, nurtured by family and community."
You can make a real difference in the lives of at-risk youth when you join the dedicated team at Touchstone Community Facility. You will participate in large scale food preparation, according to menus and recipes for both regular and modified diets.
Some of what you'll do:
- Organize, plan and prepare hot and cold food for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner
- Instruct, train and lead the Cook 1's and Food Service Workers through preparation of hot and cold food and beverage requirements tasks per posted menu
- Create and prepare food items according to standardized recipes and instructions to meet specific dietary guidelines, production, delivery, and service schedules.
- Operate mixers, ovens, choppers, shredders, steamers, food processors and other kitchen equipment
- Prepare meals for delivery by using correct portioning, ensure that food is at the correct temperature and delicious
- Ensure all food preparation areas are clean, maintaining sanitary standards
- Order and/or purchase grocery products to maintain necessary supplies for planned menus
- Maintain all storage areas for cleanliness and fresh stock; complete daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedule
What we're looking for:
Professionals with two years cooking experience in large scale food service or culinary operation. Successful completion of course in large scale cooking may be substituted for experience.
One year as a Cook 1 in state service
You will also need a current Food Handler's card
In addition to those required qualifications, our ideal applicant will also have some or all of the following:
- Knowledge of practices, methods and procedures of large scale food preparation
- Ability to demonstrate principles, methods and procedures involved in a large scale food preparation and cooking operation
- Knowledge of safe food handling practices in conjunction with federal, state and local sanitary, health and safety standards
- Ability to communicate effectively with management and coworkers
- Create a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and sexual/workplace harassment. This includes but is not limited to: a. Following and abiding by DCYF policies regarding nondiscrimination, sexual harassment, workplace harassment, and client rights. b. Not using the employee's position for purposes of establishing or promoting personal or financial relationships with clients. c. Creating an environment free from intimidation, retaliation, hostility, or unreasonable interference with an individual's work performance.
Applicants selected for an interview will be required to pass a national fingerprint background check and complete a questionnaire mandated by the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) inquiring about any sexual misconduct. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the job.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
The initial screening will be based on the content and completeness of your application and the materials submitted. All information may be verified and documentation may be required. Applications with comments such as "see attachments" or "N/A" in the supplemental question responses will be considered incomplete.
DCYF is an equal opportunity employer and supports equity, diversity, inclusion and respect.
Need accommodation throughout the application/interview process? Unable to apply on-line? Contact the Recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (360) 407-1428 or the Telecommunications Device for the Deaf at 800-833-6388
Experiencing technical difficulties creating, accessing or completing your application? Call NEOGOV toll-free at (855)524-5627 or email email@example.com.
To take advantage of Veteran's preference please attach your DD-214, member 4 long form, or your NGB-22. Please black out your social security number prior to attaching.
General suggestions for creating a good application packet:
- Read the job posting very carefully. Find out as much as you can about the job.
- Make sure you are very diligent in following all the application instructions. Include all requested documentation.
- Make sure your application and supplemental question responses address how you meet each of the required and desired qualifications.
- Carefully read each of the supplemental questions and respond completely to each one. Pay careful attention to each component of the question, providing examples, and thoroughly describing when and where you achieved the proficiency level, and detail the types of work you performed, the work products, etc., to demonstrate 'how'.
- Specifically include all of your work experiences doing the same or similar work, especially if you reference work in these jobs in describing when/where you gained proficiency level skills.
- Make sure your application reflects your best writing.