State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Custodian 1 (Swing Shift)
at State of Washington
Custodian 1 (Swing Shift)
This posting may be used to fill multiple positions that are both
Permanent or Non-Permanent.
This posting is an Open Continuous Pool.
If you have previously applied, you need not reapply.
We will be reviewing applications after April 16, 2019
Are you ready to work for an agency that truly values customers and staff? At the Department of Enterprise Services (DES) we are a business driven, customer-focused organization that provides valued products and services to government and state residents. We are constantly evolving and growing. We have high expectations and a career at DES means to challenge yourself to always do and be better.
What you will be doing:Don't underestimate the importance of this position. You will be working on a beautiful, historic campus. You will be a custodian of the state. The high performance you provide in the buildings you clean for our customers is so vital and essential in allowing them to be productive in performing their jobs.
When you come onboard, you will be learning the tasks our four "Specialists" within the first six months. You will be working in a team environment and will be the 2nd set of eyes to assist with maintaining our high quality standards. We make it easy for you by having you follow a Job Card and taking direction from your supervisor. And if you have questions as you go, please ask! We want you to be successful the first time and not have to repeat tasks.
Who we are looking for:We are looking for someone that has fortitude, can listen and follow directions, knows how to stay on task, is organized and detail oriented, and has a great attitude and personality as you may come in contact with customers.
Why YOU would want this job:You will be working on a team. When you rotate into a new area, you will be going into a clean environment, so you won't have to re-clean or start from scratch. We also incorporate safety into our culture. We strive for an environment where our employees are and stay safe.
That's the work side, but let us tell you about the real bonuses you will find here that you won't find in other places:
- We "clean for health", meaning that we use sustainable products for YOUR protection as well as others.
- On-the-job security (working with your team and provided 2-way radios to reach someone at any time)
- The State offers GREAT benefits to include Annual Leave, Sick Leave, Paid Holidays, Medical/Dental/Life Insurances, and Shift Differential.
- Full-Time employment
- Regular raises (milestone based)
- 2nd Shift hours (aka Swing Shift) can allow you more flexibility with your personal life such as: continuing education, holding outside employment during off-hours, possibly not paying daycare if you work opposite hours than your other caregiver.
- And many promotional opportunities within DES.
If you want to work in a place that truly values you and your ideas to improve our processes and how we meet our customer expectations, if you want to feel empowered, engaged, and motivated as you work with like-minded individuals that work hard for our customers and are just as passionate about our beautiful buildings and grounds, then this is THE place to be!
Who we are:
At the Department of Enterprise Services you will join a team that encourages creativity and works smarter. We do not believe in the notion, "this is how we have always done it", instead we actively embody, "how can we do it better?"
As a DES team member you are trained to listen to our customers and develop work processes around their satisfaction. We build and maintain a human centered culture, a work place where our customers are heard and matter and you are appreciated for the skills you bring to the team every day. We look for new team members who are dedicated to learning how we listen and understand our customer's expectations to create the solutions they need.
We are an agency passionately focused on "The Big Three":1. Customer Satisfaction,
2. Team Member Satisfaction, and
3. Financial Health.
We measure our success and continually work to improve our performance based on these measures. We want to ensure both current and new team members see themselves in our Big Three, beginning with respect for people.
These positions will work swing shift from Mon-Fri 5pm-1:30am and are responsible for providing cleaning services of all types in and around facilities. Working alone or as a part of a team, performs custodial work. Work includes all cleaning tasks to provide clean, safe, healthy environment for building tenants and visitors. Uses prescribed cleaning products and chemicals on a daily basis which may require the use of protective equipment. Uses a number and variety of tools including backpack vacuums which may be used up to 8 hours of a work shift.
- Completion of at least eighth grade;
- Ability to lift/transfer up to 50lbs or more;
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, bend, reach, push, pull, and kneel;
- Ability to work with a backpack vacuum or floor crew machinery for up to eight (8) hours;
- Ability to read, speak, and understand English;
- Ability to read/understand and follow instructions provided verbally and/or in writing; and
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Supplemental Information
READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY:
- The initial screening will be solely based on the contents and completeness of the "duties summary" section of your application in Careers.wa.gov, completeness of the application material submitted, and the supplemental questionnaire.
- A resume will not substitute for completing the "duties summary" section of the application. Responses to the supplemental questionnaire regarding work experience must be reflected in the "duties summary" section of the application.
- By submitting materials you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
- Prior to any new appointment into the Department of Enterprise Services, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
NOTE: This position is in a bargaining unit and falls under the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the state of Washington and the Washington Federation of State Employees (WFSE).
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUST attach a copy of their DD-214, or other verification of military service.
Note: Applicants claiming veteran's preference points must attach the documentation with each on-line application. If you do not provide appropriate documentation to qualify for these preference points, the points will not be awarded.
For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible, click here.
We thank you and are grateful for your service
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Angie Anderson at (360) 407-8446 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Department of Enterprise Services celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Persons with a disability who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.