State of Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Bridge Engineer 5 In-Training - Senior Lead Inspector
at State of Washington
The Washington State Department of Transportation's State Bridge and Structures Office is currently seeking a qualified bridge inspector to fill a Senior Lead Inspector vacancy as a Bridge Engineer 5 (In-Training). This Senior Lead Inspector is responsible for the completion of the in-service bridge inspections and reports in conformance with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and WSDOT requirements and procedures.
Note: This position has an in-training plan that can be filled at either the Bridge Engineer 4 or Bridge Engineer 5 level. The salaries for each position are:
Bridge Engineer 4- $72,432 - $97,392 annually, depending on qualifications.
Bridge Engineer 5- $79,944 - $107,532 annually, depending on qualifications.
This position will give you the opportunity be an expert in your field and work with hard working, knowledgeable, hands-on professionals in bridge engineering. If you have a background in bridge engineering, like to work outside, travel, use a variety of different equipment, and be part of a team who is responsible for the safety of our traveling public, this may just be your new opportunity!
At WSDOT, we value the importance of creating an environment in which all employees feel respected, included, and empowered to bring unique ideas to the agency. Our diversity and inclusion efforts include embracing different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives while fostering growth and advancement in the workplace. To learn more, please watch the following video: Why WSDOT?
This position will perform the following work:
- Operate a variety of equipment in the process of conducting bridge inspections, including but not limited to: UBIT's, bucket trucks, scaffolding, boats and safety harness hardware.
- Lead other Senior Lead Bridge Inspectors where multiple inspection teams are utilized to complete an inspection.
- Prepare and complete bridge inspection reports.
- Plan and prepare for bridge inspections utilizing Bridge Program Management and other planning tools.
- Serve as a statewide expert on bridge inspections for Regional and Headquarters staff.
An ideal candidate for this position will have:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering or a Master of Science degree in Civil Engineering.
- For the Bridge Engineer 4 level, one year of experience as a Bridge Engineer 3 or equivalent.
- For the Bridge Engineer 5 level, two years' experience as a Bridge Engineer 4 or equivalent.
- A valid driver's license with the ability to travel statewide with frequent overnight stays.
- Ability to work approximately 2 weekends per month.
- Ability to work at heights exceeding 100 feet, in confined spaces and over water.
- Ability to safely and proficiently operate a variety of equipment in the process of conducting bridge inspections, including but not limited to: UBIT's, bucket trucks, scaffolding, technical rope access, boats and safety harness hardware.
- Professional Engineering License (P.E.).
- Possess the ability to obtain a valid TWIC (Transportation Worker's Identification Card).
How to Apply: Applications for this recruitment will be accepted electronically. Please select the large "apply" button at the top of this announcement. You may need to set up an account profile. To be considered for this position you will need to answer the supplemental questions, as part of the supplemental questions you will need to provide a letter of interest. Your letter of interest should describe how your experience, training and education make you a viable and competitive candidate for this position.
Contact us: For inquiries about this position, please contact Eirik Landes at LandesE@wsdot.wa.gov. Please reference recruitment number 19DOT-HQ-00511.
WSDOT is an equal opportunity employer. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons of disability, persons over 40 years of age, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities needing assistance in the application process, or those needing this job announcement in an alternative format may contact the listed recruiter. WSDOT does not use the E-Verify system. For more information, please visit https://www.uscis.gov/.