Seattle Housing Authority
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Vacate Technician Trainee, Job #103430
at Seattle Housing Authority
- Job Summary
Vacate Technician Trainee, Job #103430
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled
Starting Salary: $16.60/hourly + Excellent Benefits
Project Full-Time, FLSA Non-Exempt Position
The Seattle Housing Authority, a nationally recognized leader in providing innovative, affordable housing communities, is accepting applications for two Vacate Technician Trainees.
Please note: This is a recruitment for a Project Full-Time position with an anticipated end date of December 31, 2019.
The Vacate Technician Trainee is a one year trainee position with a preference for qualified SHA Residents. Under the general supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor or designee, a Vacate Technician Trainee acquires knowledge, skills and abilities (KSA) to perform a variety of vacate turn and maintenance work tasks in single and multi-family dwelling units through an on-the-job training program. KSAs will be evaluated periodically.
E = Essential Functions
1. Perform cleaning and housekeeping in vacated units. Examples include disposing of debris; cleaning blinds and windows; cleaning or washing walls, woodwork, cabinetry, appliances, and bathrooms; replacing bulbs and shades; replacing outlet/switch covers; and cleaning floors and carpets. Perform general cleaning to unit exteriors. Power wash unit exteriors and sidewalks. E
2. Prepare for and paint residential units, including clearing space behind and between appliances, patching as needed, and cleaning up. E
3. Perform curb appeal tasks for the property. Keep parking bays, parking lots and streets clean. Pick up litter on grounds around community daily. During special pickup days, work with Solid Waste to contain the spread of litter and debris and to localize it for convenient disposal. Upon vacate, work with Solid Waste to dispose of any debris and abandoned property. E
4. Dust and/or clean hallways, reception areas, offices, and restrooms on a daily basis. Clean public areas daily; clean public restrooms and check paper goods daily. Vacuum offices and walk-off mats daily. Wash lobby and office windows and glass doors inside and out twice weekly or as needed. Wet mop spills or clean up debris in hallways, lobby, common areas, kitchen, restrooms or other public places. E
5. As requested, move refrigerators and ranges and other appliances. E
6. Report problem situations to Maintenance Supervisor/HOPE VI, Senior Property Manager or Property Manager, including conditions with residents, units, yards, garbage areas, and common areas. Report fire, safety or health concerns. E
7. Keep sidewalks and entryways free of snow and ice as required. E
8. Set up chairs and tables in community room(s) for community meetings and/or social functions. E
9. Participate in the development and implementation of goals, work plans, performance measures, and continuous improvement of service delivery to assist in attaining the unit/program/department initiatives and goals, agency core strategies, and mission through a spirit of service, teamwork and respect. Work well with other employees, follow direction, and work well under pressure. E
10. Attend all required training and safety meetings; use, maintain and replace assigned personal protective equipment; report all injuries and illnesses to supervisor immediately; complete and submit incident/accident reports as required; report hazardous conditions or unsafe work practices to supervisor; and follow all safety and health guidelines, practices, policies and procedures. E
11. Perform related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
High School diploma, GED, or equivalent. Relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement up to two years.
Experience and/or training in apartment maintenance work preferred but not required. Must have demonstrated ability to work with culturally diverse populations, seniors, and persons with disabilities.
LICENSES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
HOPE VI/Garden Community Property Sites: First consideration will be granted to qualified residents of the HOPE VI/Garden community, followed by residents of other SHA housing programs and Section 8 participants. Consideration of other applicants may be extended if no fully qualified SHA residents apply.
Must possess and maintain a Washington State Driver's License and fully insurable driving record.
This is an FLSA Non-Exempt position covered by a collective bargaining agreement..
- Competencies, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
1. Building construction practices and terminology.
2. Basic home repairs.
3. Yard care.
4. Garden and hand tools.
5. Safe operation of power hand tools.
6. Techniques used in the maintenance and repair of residential buildings and equipment.
1. Lift 50 pounds, repeatedly, and on a regular basis.
2. Speak and understand English well enough to carry out verbal instructions.
3. Work well with the residents and able to explain community rules and expectations.
4. Walk the entire site, uphill, downhill, and routinely.
5. Operate garden tools, hand tools, and some power tools.
6. Troubleshoot problems and perform basic home repairs.
7. Complete minor appliance repairs.
8. Demonstrate pride of workmanship.
9. Ability to work on ladders and heights.
10. Must be able to work in units that have unsanitary conditions such as pest infestations i.e.; bedbugs, roaches, smells and waste/debris
• Multi-Family and/or Housing community sites and office environment.
• It is expected that staff will exercise discretion in regard to those duties that may require entry to residential units. Keep resident information confidential. If staff determine there may be a risk to personal safety or liability, it is advisable to enter only when accompanied by another staff person, or contact supervisor.
• Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
• Seeing to read a variety of materials.
• Physical ability to perform all duties of the job.
• Occasional contact with dissatisfied, rude, or verbally abusive individuals.
• Work with chemicals