Seattle Community Colleges
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Hourly - STEM Tutor TRIO Pre-College Programs
at Seattle Community Colleges
- Position Summary
This is a Part Time hourly position working about 16 hours per week.
The majority of work will take place on the South Seattle College main campus with the opportunity to work at target secondary school sites as needed. The TRIO Upward Bound and Educational Talent Search programs assist Middle and High School participants with retention, college admissions applications, enrollment forms, FAFSA applications, career planning, and program selection. TRIO UBETS provides these services to students 11-21 years-of-age, who are low-income and will be first generation college students.
Tutors will help manage student flow and resource access in our busy office. Our main office is a popular student space for Running Start students from local target school sites and we help to bridge them to college. South Seattle College is one of the most diverse community colleges in Washington State.
- Submit a resume and cover letter addressing the job functions and qualifications required.
- Please demonstrate how you are a good fit for this position.
- Provide three professional references.
- Respond to required supplemental questions
First review of applications will begin on December 3, 2018.
Seattle Colleges are committed to recruiting dedicated faculty and staff who together create a welcoming academic climate that reflects the diverse backgrounds of our community, including ethnicity, national origin, religion, race, gender, gender identity, age, status as a veteran or disabled veteran, disability, political status, and sexual orientation.
Prior to a new hire, a background check including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position
- Essential Functions
- Assisting student participants of TRIO Upward Bound and TRIO Educational Talent Search with STEM related coursework and test preparation.
- Interact with and provide welcome to students.
- Occasionally chaperone field trips and college access events as needed
- Candidates must be available for minimum of two quarters. Participation through at least Summer quarter 2019 preferred.
- Required Education, Experience & Abilities
- Minimum one-year in college level math and STEM coursework.
- Demonstrated ability to tutor some combination of mathematical concepts ranging from Algebra to Calculus and science concepts ranging from Biology to Physics.
- Experience working positively with diverse student populations.
- Strong team building, communication, collaborative/interactive work styles and habits.
- Preferred Qualifications
- Bachelors (or other) degree in a STEM field
- Demonstrated teaching experience of a STEM related subject(s) at the high school or college level.
- Understanding of community college and high school transition.
- TRIO knowledge/experience.
- Fluency with Social Media platforms and desktop publishing
- From a similar background to the student populations we serve (low income and/or first generation college students).
- Experience with managing youth events and spaces.