Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Site Reliability Engineer (JoinOCI-CVMCM)
at Oracle Corporation
The Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) team can provide you the opportunity to build and operate a suite of massive scale, integrated cloud services in a broadly distributed, multi-tenant cloud environment. OCI is committed to providing the best in cloud products that meet the needs of our customers who are tackling some of the world's biggest challenges.
We offer unique opportunities for smart, hands-on engineers with the expertise and passion to solve difficult problems in distributed highly available services and virtualized infrastructure. At every level, our engineers have a significant technical and business impact designing and building innovative new systems to power our customer's business critical applications.
Oracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI) combines the elasticity and utility of public cloud with the granular control, security, and predictability of on-premises infrastructure to deliver high-performance, high availability and cost-effective infrastructure services. Multiple compute options provide the flexibility to run the most demanding workloads, as well as less compute-intensive applications, in a secure and highly available cloud environment. Customers can self-service provision virtual machines right alongside bare metal servers and clusters on the same virtual cloud networks, through a unified web console, APIs, CLI or via industry standard tools such as Terraform and Chef. OCI's approach gives the customer choices for storage us industry leading local NVME storage or elastic network block storage.
The Site reliability engineering (SRE) discipline in OCI incorporates the ethos of software engineering and applies it large-scale operations problems. As a SRE your primary goals are to create highly reliable and ultra-scalable software systems to manage the operations of our services.
A SRE will spend a significant amount of their time doing "ops" related work such as production issues and service on-call. When not working on operations the SRE is working on software engineering tasks such as design and development of systems that increase our reliability, scalability and reduce operational overhead through automation. The ideal SRE candidate is proficient programmer who has large breadth of knowledge and experience including areas such as networking, internet protocols and Linux systems.
Our SREs are close partners with service owners in all aspects of service operations and ownership. We have a strong culture of innovation, collaboration and teamwork inspired by the DevOps philosophy.
- Work closely with development team on maintaining operational health of core compute services for API availability and low latency
- Managing and triaging tickets. Driving prioritization and execution of work based on impact
- Scale systems sustainably through mechanisms such as easy to use tooling and automation. Work in concert with service developers to evolve systems/products for better scalability, reliability and development velocity
- Drives new runbooks to help reduce mean triage time of incidents. Prioritize and automate high hit count runbooks
- Practice sustainable incident response and drive root case analysis
- BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field involving coding or equivalent practical experience
- Understanding of Linux operating systems and Linux system administration
- Strong understanding of Linux/Unix commands
- Systematic problem-solving approach, strong communication skills, a sense of ownership and drive
- Deep understand of service metrics and alarms through the development of dashboards, service KPIs, alarming systems
- Experience working in an operational environment with mission critical tier one services with associated pager duty
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.