Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Human Factors Engineer
at Natus Medical
USA, Washington, Bothell
Regular Full time
Natus Medical is a leading manufacturer of medical devices for the Newborn Care, Neurology, Sleep, Hearing and Balance markets since 1989. Natus products are used in hospitals, clinics and laboratories worldwide. Our mission is to improve outcomes and patient care in target markets through innovative screening, diagnostic and treatment solutions.
The Principal Human Factors Engineer is responsible for all human factors and usability engineering activities of medical electrical systems used in Neurology, Audiology, and Newborn Care products. You can expect to be involved in all phases of the product lifecycle, for both new product introductions and maintenance of existing products.
In this job, you will:
- Serve as the global lead for all human factors and usability engineering activities (no direct reports)
- Provide human factors support across the organization, including business and user needs development, usability and application specifications definition, user interface design, usability testing, and use error analysis
- Apply human factors engineering methodologies to determine end-user behaviors and preferences to develop usage models
- Participate in developing design controls procedures for application to legacy products and new product development
- Plan and oversee the collection of formative and summative usability studies for translation and input to product development
- Update and maintain usability engineering files for compliance with IEC 62366 and quality management system procedures
- Lead projects involving cross-functional teams
- Provide guidance and training on human factors engineering to cross-functional employees
- Contribute to harmonizing the company’s various medical device platforms by converging system architecture and reusing components as well as design and test practices (product line engineering)
- May be called upon to perform or guide other systems engineering disciplines, such as user and system requirements and specification development, risk management, and compliance engineering
- Stay up-to-date and follow all Quality System procedures related to this job, which can affect the quality of products or services provided to our customers.
- Travel: up to 25% travel to Natus sites, domestic and international
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science; Master’s degree is an asset
- Minimum seven years’ relevant experience and/or training with systems engineering
- Three years’ experience developing usability engineering processes for new product development with medical devices
- Knowledge of medical device technology, applicable quality and safety standards, and regulations
- Demonstrated ability to deal with a fast-paced environment, high levels of ambiguity, multiple concurrent projects, and conflicting assignments
- Demonstrated initiative, attention to detail, customer focus, and commitment to ongoing process improvement
- Knowledge of information technology: PCs, servers, software, and databases
- Knowledge of product lifecycle management
- Experience with requirements specification and traceability
- Experience with project management a plus
Natus offers competitive salaries, comprehensive benefit package that starts on your 1st day, 401k match, an employee stock purchase plan, 9 paid holidays, generous paid time off plan (4 weeks to start) and tuition reimbursement up to $5,000 annually.
Natus Medical is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected status.