Milliman Care Guidelines
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Network Security Engineer - Seattle/Boise EB Practice
at Milliman Care Guidelines
For over 70 years, Milliman has pioneered human capital strategies, tools and solutions worldwide. With offices in over 60 countries, Milliman is one of the largest consulting and actuarial firms in the markets it serves. Milliman consultants offer highly effective solutions in the retirement, compensation, healthcare, talent management, and employee communications arenas, in addition to providing insurance, investment and other financial services.
- To design, implement, maintain, and support the Seattle Employee Benefits and Seattle Life network infrastructure
- Responsible for designing and developing scalable, maintainable, highly available network architectures that meet business objectives and SLA
- Perform a combination of security design and implementation work, security testing, and implementation of new products or enhancements to current products
- Responsible for client penetration and vulnerability testing and reporting, security of technology and information systems, including internal IT systems, ecommerce, and web or cloud-based systems
- Provide Level-2/3 support and troubleshooting to resolve issues reported to the Service Desk and back-up Level-0/1.
- Manage the request’s life-cycle including escalation, closure, and verification of resolution
- Fully support, configure, maintain and upgrade corporate networks/servers
- Set up user accounts, permissions and passwords assigning rights and file attributes to network folders
- Monitor all servers to ensure that software and updates are in compliance
- Install and integrate new server hardware and applications
- Monitor network performance (availability, utilization, throughput, goodput, and latency) and test for weaknesses
- Configure and install various network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS)
- Perform network maintenance and system upgrades including service packs, patches, hot fixes and security configurations
- Evaluates security threats, assesses potential impact to the business, implements strategies to detect and generate alerts on security incidents, and ensures compliance with security regulations and privacy laws
- Design, configure, implement and maintain all security platforms and their associated software, such as routers, switches, firewalls, intrusion detection/intrusion prevention, anti-virus, and cryptography systems
- Design, review and ongoing assessment of firewall, intrusion detection/intrusion prevention, application control, Antivirus, and other network component policies
- Ensure network security best practices are implemented through auditing: router, switch, firewall configurations, change control and monitoring
- Formulate systems and methodologies as well as respond to security related event, and lead vulnerability testing and remediation efforts
- Provide management information and recommendations for service improvements
- Submit new solutions to knowledge database
- Troubleshoot incidents including but not limited to Desktop, Application, Network, Voice and Video
- Record and track interactions; track all customer contacts with all pertinent details to enable others to determine the history of the issue and what steps have been completed to resolve the issue
- Install, configure and maintain Windows corporate devices and peripherals, including off-hours support, as necessary
- Resolve problems reported by end-user support. Ensure that all calls and trouble tickets are entered and managed in ticket tracking software in a timely manner
- Identify reoccurring incidents and escalate as appropriate
- Work on special projects, as needed
- Prepare in advance for new releases and needed updates
- Write technical training and usage documentation for user and/or team use
- Monitor performance and ensure system availability and reliability
- Monitor system resource utilization, trending, and capacity planning
- Work within established configuration and change management policies to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure
- Select and implement security tools, policies, and procedures in conjunction with Security and Audit compliance
- Liaise with vendors and other IT personnel for problem resolution
- Follow strict change management protocols and security procedures
- Document network environment keeping wiring diagrams, network maps, configuration information and disaster recovery documentation up-to-date.
- Occasional travel will be required, two to three short trips a year
- Will carry smartphone at all times to receive alerts
- Some after hours and weekend work required
JOB REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 5 years of experience in the installation, configuration and maintenance of network infrastructure and systems
- 3 years of experience in the installation and configuration of servers, operating systems, and Network Security, preferably in a medium or large scale environment
- 2 years of experience with SNMP, remote network and monitoring
- Experience working with Azure or one of the other cloud providers or virtualization or equivalent technology
- Understanding of current security issues and threats
- Understanding of risks that can manifest in larger scale complex systems
- Knowledge of networking concepts and firewalls, common network and application protocols including the OSI Model, Switching, Routing, TCP/IP, ACLs, NAT, OSPF, BGP, QoS, VOIP, TLS/SSL, HTTP, 802.11, H.323, SIP, SNMP, Windows and Unix networking, load-balancing, SFTP and DNS required
- Familiarity with networking tools including ping, tracert, Netmon, WireShark, nmap, etc.
- Windows System Administration/Virtualization
- Familiarity with Windows concepts such as Virtualization, Hyper-V/VMWare, etc), Active Directory, Security, OS Internals, etc.
- Ability to evaluate risk and communicate it in a fact-based manner is required
- Ability to capture and analyze network traffic is required
- High level of proficiency and experience with TCP/IP networking, architecture and core technologies, such as MPLS, BGP, OSPF, DNS, HTTP, etc.
- Experience deploying and managing large scale distributed network environments
- Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands on empirical monitoring and data-driven decision making
- Strong analytical approach to problem solving and ability to troubleshoot complex issues quickly, while successfully handling multiple priorities
- Must work well as part of a team in a high-energy environment; must possess good written and verbal communication skills, and good time-management abilities
- Ability to lift 50 pounds required, with bending and mobility to move large objects
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- 2 years of experience in customer support, technical software support, systems development, network operations, IT admin or IT consulting
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
- MCSA (or better): Cloud Platform and be willing to continuously pursue others to address specific business needs
- Understanding of Python, Shell or Perl in order to push software and network interaction
- High level of proficiency with Cisco and Juniper router and switch hardware installation and troubleshooting
- Prior understanding of Project Management methodologies
- Experience with multi-tiered mission-critical systems
- Worked in a Zero Downtime environment
- Solid hands-on technical background particularly in managing highly complex, multi-platform environments (servers, storage, networks, security, virtualization, systems monitoring and management)
- Working knowledge of JunOS, IOS, stateful firewall platforms, and networking
- ISO 27001, PCI, HITRUST, SOC, knowledge
- Experience with core Azure features (Compute, Storage, Databases, App Services)
- High level of proficiency and experience configuring and troubleshooting load balancers
- Skilled in packet analysis, network analysis tools, troubleshooting and analytical fault diagnosis
- Experience in deploying, customizing and scaling a network monitoring solution
- Experience in deployment scripting and automation (PowerShell, bash, ruby, etc.)
MILLIMAN U.S. BENEFITS
At Milliman, we focus on creating an environment that recognizes – and meets – the personal and professional needs of the individual. We offer a competitive benefits package which includes:
- Medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their families, including eligible domestic partners.
- A 401(k) plan with matching program
- Paid Parental Leave up to 12 weeks
- Profit sharing as a discretionary contribution to employees’ retirement accounts
- Paid Time Off (PTO) starts accruing on the first day of work and can be used for any reason.
- Adoption assistance
- Milliman covers 100% of the premiums for life insurance, AD&D, and both short term and long termdisability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts allow employees to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for dependent care, transportation and applicable medical needs
- This position is based out of the Milliman office in Seattle, WA. Applicants must be willing to work onsite in the Milliman office.
- Applicants must be presently authorized to work in the United States. Practice/Office will not sponsor applicants for this position for the following work visas/statuses: F-1 STEM OPT, H-1B, J-1, TN, O-1, L-1, or E-1/2.