Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr Hardware Quality Program Manager
at Microsoft Corporation
- Job number
- Job category
- Program Management
- Employment type
- Role type
- Individual Contributor
Microsoft Capacity Supply Chain and Provisioning (CSCP) is the engine that powers Microsoft's cloud services. The team is responsible for designing, building and operating our unified global datacenters; managing the demand planning and capacity utilization of our unified infrastructure; and responsible for all of the operations needed to run the physical infrastructure including supply chain, hardware, power, security, and workflow teams. We focus on smart growth with an emphasis on automation, data driven engineering, cost‐effectiveness and environmental sustainability. We deliver the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's over 200 online businesses including Bing, MSN, Office 365, Xbox Live, Skype, OneDrive and the Microsoft Azure platform. Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our portfolio is built and managed by a team of subject matter experts working 24x7x365 to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic team and influence the way one of the world’s largest and fastest growing cloud environments is built and supported. As a Sr Hardware Quality Program Manager in the Cloud Hardware Manufacturing Engineering (CHME) team within Microsoft’s CSCP Organization, you will help define how we improve overall hardware delivery and drive agility across CSCP. We are all about improving quality, change control, and efficient day to day operations. We operate in a high‐tech environment, laying the groundwork for scalable growth while delivering capacity and exceeding our customers’ expectations.
This role requires the ability to quickly understand the big picture with an eye on underlying details and the ability to lead projects. The role places a premium on working collaboratively and developing successful internal and cross-functional relationships with multiple stakeholders, as well as the capability to synthesize, analyze, and frame complex engineering/operating models and processes in a logical and forward-thinking manner. In this position you will lead specific departments of the organization down a path to more clear, concise problem management that make the manufacturing engineering life cycle management more efficient in delivering above industry standard quality.
- Take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner
- Clearly establish and communicate goals, roles, responsibilities, and desired outcomes with project teams
- Develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, and roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done
- Anticipate bottlenecks, escalate appropriately, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints.
- Evaluate project feasibility, create cross-functional matrix-based teams, establish trust with a variety of stakeholders across multiple time zones, manage capital budgets, eliminate non-value-add activity, design solutions, effectively manage risk, and find creative ways to accelerate project delivery.
- Manage conceptual development efforts, remote project delivery teams and facilitate technical whiteboard sessions to troubleshoot project implementation issues, and remove barriers to project success.
- Work comfortably with teams and peers such as NPI program managers, Development team, Quality Engineers, Test Engineers and Data Center to name a few.
- Bring proven experience leading and delivering results with matrixed and partnered technical teams and individuals.
- Act as an escalation point for the team, helping to remove barriers to progress and productivity.
- Champion and advocate for a culture of solving problems from an End to End perspective across CSCP and our partner organizations.
- Lead internal and external process improvements and excellence conversations cross functionally to ensure we have optimized processes and aligned across partner teams.
- Atleast 10+ years of program management experience of highly technical initiatives, as well as strategic program management experience in a manufacturing, operations, engineering, product development environment
- Has atleast 8 years of project management experience and is fully competent in a variety of project management tools, methodologies and techniques for all phases of the project lifecycle and exhibit demonstrated proficiency in core project management disciplines including scope, schedule, budget, resources, quality and risk management, reporting and metric development/tracking.
- Has a Bachelors Degree in Engineering or equivalent technical degree
- Has experience working and solving problems in a complex engineering environment and will have worked as a technical project manager on increasingly complex projects.
- Familiarity with hardware blocks, custom assemblies and commodities
- Proven track record of holding all stakeholders accountable on key deliverables and timelines
- Proven problem resolution, judgment, negotiating and decision-making skills
- Be a self-starter and a leader that can maintain focus and deliver results consistently that drive business capability value
- Drives through ambiguity, is self-motivated and thrives on minimal supervision. Sound judgment, decision-making skills, and ability to work under continual deadline pressure in an extremely volatile and high paced environment
- Confident, takes ownership, willingness to “do what it takes” to get the job done with proven experience leading complex programs/initiatives to successful completion
- Strong written and oral communication skills with experience providing project status to line and senior management
- Strong understanding of business planning and cross-organizational consulting and/or support processes - preferably in a very large, matrixed enterprise
- Work independently to balance multiple tasks and competing priorities simultaneously
- Effectively lead cross-organizational meetings to lead teams to consensus and/or decisions to maintain project schedules
- MBA/ masters degree preferred
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.