Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Microsoft Corporation
- Job number
- Job category
- New Product Introduction Engineering
- Employment type
- Role type
- Individual Contributor
Do you want to be part of the team that brings world class hardware from concept to market? The Design for Excellence (DfX) team within Microsoft's NPI group enables the delivery of world class hardware that our customers love, incorporating innovative, cutting edge technologies.
Role & Opportunity:
The Microsoft New Product Introduction (NPI) group is looking for a passionate & team-oriented engineer to join us in shaping the future of devices. You will be part of the Design for Manufacturing (DfM) group within the DfX team, and focused on PCB's and FPC's design and manufacturing processes. The DfX team enables and delivers emerging technologies in new product categories. Your end-to-end engagement will include design development, new design and process characterization, and manufacturing launch of next generation Microsoft hardware. You will get to collaborate cross-functionally with engineering disciplines across the company.
• Integral technical engagement and concurrent engineering collaboration with internal product development groups such as Surface, Surface Hub, Xbox, HoloLens and Next Generation product lines.
• Early partnership with product development teams to identify design elements that are new, unique, or difficult and enable their realization through all engineering verification and validation cycles.
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams and external vendors to identify, characterize and deliver manufacturing processes that enable the commercialization of unique and emerging technologies in new product categories.
• Directing and setting priorities for teams focused on creating new ways to solve complex design and manufacturing challenges, cost reduction and yield improvement efforts, inventing and commercializing new technologies and methods.
• Perform technical analyses, recommend, prepare and execute designs-of-experiments, and characterize process and design interactions.
• Stay current and versed in emerging technologies, materials, methods and manufacturing processes.
• Lead efforts within DfX and the hardware organization to define and evolve new internal methods, as well as generate and evangelize best practices guidelines to enable efficiencies in future hardware development and launch activities.
• Drive DFM, activities in the hardware product development schedules to meet or exceed product targets (ex. Quality, reliability, safety, cost).
• 10-20% travel to domestic and overseas vendor and factory sites is required.
• Bachelor/Master degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Industrial Engineering, or Material Science Engineering.
• 3+ years as either a Design for Manufacturing (DfM) engineer, hardware engineer in product development, or high volume manufacturing process engineer involving electro-mechanical systems manufacturing and integration.
• Consistently demonstrating strong technical aptitude and experience with electro-mechanical design and related manufacturing process. Some examples include: Design for assembly / Manufacturing; FPCA and PCBA design & SMT manufacturing; EE and ME component and material selection.
• Concurrent engineering experience with cross-functional teams.
• Demonstrated ability in product and statistical process control, part characterization, structured problem solving, defect/failure analysis, DOE, reliability testing, statistical data analysis.
• Proficiency with 3D design tools and other CAD suites. Knowledge in Pro-E/Creo, SolidWorks, Cadence Allegro, or Zuken is a plus.
• Strong troubleshooting skills and structured problem solving approach; Experience leveraging manufacturing data to identify design and assembly issues and subsequently drive continuous quality.
• Design for manufacturing (DfM) experience in a high-volume environment preferred.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.