Latham & Watkins LLP
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Latham & Watkins LLP
Latham & Watkins, a global law firm consistently ranked among the top firms in the world, is currently seeking a Legal Secretary to join our winning team, located in Washington, D.C. The success of our firm is largely determined by our commitment to hire and develop the very best and brightest, creating a team that provides our clients with the highest quality of work and service. We are driven by our core values: respect, innovation and collaboration.
The Legal Secretary will receive a generous total compensation package. Bonuses are awarded in recognition of individual and firm performance. Eligible employees can participate in Latham’s comprehensive benefit program including healthcare, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 401k plan, and more! In addition, employees receive 10 paid holidays per year, and a PTO program that accrues 23 days during the first year of employment and grows with tenure.
As a Legal Secretary at Latham, you will perform a variety of secretarial duties of a highly responsible and confidential nature for attorneys and/or paralegals. Roles and responsibilities also include:
- Performs complete secretarial functions for attorneys and/or paralegals requiring knowledge of format, procedure, and specialized terminology.
- Researches and obtains a wide variety of information or documents requested by attorneys and/or paralegals.
- Transcribes and proofreads materials from shorthand, notes, tapes and drafts.
- Composes materials such as correspondence, minutes, real estate, and finance documents and general forms.
- Maintains and tracks schedules and calendars for attorneys.
- Arranges meetings and conference calls. May order meals, refreshments, and equipment as requested.
- Coordinates travel arrangements. Updates attorneys concerning mail and phone messages while traveling.
- Drafts, revises, and submits client billings. May contact clients regarding delinquent bills.
- Processes expenses and/or invoices for payment.
- Arranges for faxes, copying, and messenger service.
- Arranges and maintains chronological client report files.
- Greets and screens visitors, determines the nature of contact, and provides appropriate information. Assists visiting clients with secretarial support needs.
- Assists with special projects as necessary.
- Promotes effective work practices, works as a team member, and shows respect for co-workers.
The successful Legal Secretary has a high school diploma or equivalent, with college or business school coursework desired. He or she should have a minimum of five (5) years legal secretarial experience to interpret law office policies and procedures and produce accurate legal documents with minimal supervision. The Secretary must have excellent verbal communication skills and speak English clearly. The Secretary must type at a competitive speed and be proficient in PC applications, including word processing and spreadsheet software.
Latham & Watkins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity, equal opportunity and sustainability enables Latham & Watkins to draw from a remarkable wealth of talent to create one of the world's leading law firms.