Kings County Housing Authority
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Intergovernmental Affairs Intern
at Kings County Housing Authority
- Job Summary
This position is open until filled. To ensure your consideration, completed applications should be submitted by Monday, November 16, 2020.
King County Housing Authority (KCHA), an independent municipal organization is a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing. As one of the largest landlords in Western Washington, we transform lives through housing.
We are currently recruiting for an Intergovernmental Affairs Intern. This exciting position will monitor, analyze, strategize and coordinate legislative policy for the Association of Washington Housing Authorities for the 2021 legislative session.
KCHA is a member of the Association of Washington Housing Authorities (AWHA) and co-facilitates its legislative committee. By participating in the implementation of AWHA's policy agenda, the successful candidate for this internship will gain an in-depth understanding of the work undertaken by public housing authorities. This internship includes the opportunity to network and learn from local affordable housing leaders in the Puget Sound region and throughout Washington State. Depending on the candidate's interest areas, the Intergovernmental Affairs Intern will leave the internship having completed a long-term and in-depth research, advocacy, or data analysis project that supports AWHA's policy agenda or its membership.
Specific work areas for the Intergovernmental Affairs Intern include:
- Supporting policy activities under the direction of the Co-Chairs of AWHA's legislative committee from the Seattle and King County Housing Authorities, particularly on work pertaining to the impact of legislation on housing authorities and low-income communities;
- Researching and creating resources for PHAs related to innovative programming or policies being implemented in different communities;
- Participating in and/or presenting during coalition meetings, policy briefings, conferences and other events relevant to AWHA's policy agenda;
- Tracking, monitoring, researching, and preparing policy and/or advocacy materials related to affordable housing policy;
- Creating visually appealing advocacy materials, including infographics and one-pagers, and highlighting resident stories, to support individual AWHA members in their advocacy.
The position will be located at KCHA's Central Office in Tukwila, WA; however, the successful candidate will likely spend majority of their time working remotely over the course of the internship. Alternate work locations or telecommuting options may be considered. This internship will last for up to 6 months with the possibility for extension. The successful candidate will commit to working 15-20 hours per week. Specific days of work are flexible and based on the candidate's availability.
- Essential Functions
The Intergovernmental Affairs Intern will:
- Lead and facilitate weekly legislative committee conference calls;
- Monitor and track legislative priorities throughout the state legislative session;
- Support project planning for internal and extramural policy analysis and research;
- Assist in preparing analyses of relevant legislative and regulatory documents;
- Assist in creating materials and correspondence in support of legislative priorities;
- Assist with quantitative or qualitative research projects on affordable housing topics, as directed;
- Coordinate with team members, as appropriate;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Qualifications and Competencies
- Bachelor's degree and current enrollment or recent graduate from a graduate level program in Public Policy, Political Science, or related field AND one year of work experience OR
- Current enrollment in a graduate or undergraduate level degree program AND two years of work experience.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills with the ability to clearly and effectively communicate with individuals and groups; ability to write clear and concise material for a variety of audiences and to display complex information in a graphically pleasing way is desirable.
- Experience and expertise in the organization and effective translation of complex technical information including prioritizing, keeping track of information or work in progress, ensuring accuracy, multi-tasking, attention to detail, and time management skills.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Visio and SharePoint.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment exhibiting a strong work ethic and accountability in completing work.
- Work effectively and positively with individuals of diverse cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds and educationally diverse populations; values diversity; treats other with respect.
- Consent to and pass criminal records background check.
- Position Information and Application Process
To be considered for this opportunity, you must:
- Complete the online application profile in its entirety.
- Upload a cover letter that addresses how your experience and education qualifies you to perform the essential functions listed in the job announcement. (Cover Letter)
- Upload a detailed résumé of all educational and professional experience. (Résumé)
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment with occasional to moderate travel. The incumbent frequently uses standard office equipment including personal computers, telephone and related equipment and may drive a vehicle on Authority business.
King County Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.