Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Truck Driver III
at King County
This position will safely haul material from our transfer stations to our landfill at Maple Valley and satisfactorily complete other associated tasks. The qualified applicant must have at least 5 years of excellent driving experience and Class "A" CDL. This position is eligible for excellent King County Benefits including Medical Coverage.
King County and The Solid Waste Division (SWD) values diverse perspectives and life experiences and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, and veterans.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified candidates. This recruitment may be used to create a list of competitive candidates to fill similar vacancies that may occur.
Forms and Materials Required: Applicants must submit a (1) King County Application form and (2) respond to the supplemental questions.
Selection Process: Applicants rated the most competitive will be invited for a skills test and interview. Your 5-year driving abstract will be required upon request.
Work Schedule: This position has multiple schedule possibilities due to on-call as needed. Regular Part-Time (RPT) is primarily assigned to a 7/10 work schedule (7 days on, up to 10 hours per day, followed by 7 days off (Monday - Sunday)) but may be assigned to a 4/10 or 5/8 schedule as needed. Regular Part-Time positions are not guaranteed hours and are scheduled to work as needed to supplement full-time schedules, with variable work hours, but may vary between 5:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Required to be available seven days a week.
About Operations Section: The operations section of the Solid Waste Division operates a solid waste transfer and disposal system for residents and businesses in King County (except for Milton, Seattle). The operations section is responsible for the transfer facilities, transportation, maintenance shop (maintaining the division's heavy equipment, vehicles and facilities), landfill operations, landfill gas and wastewater, commercial garbage collection companies and self-haulers (business and residential) bring solid waste to the transfer facilities, where it is located into large transfer trailers and hauled to the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill for disposal. At the landfill, a network of environmental controls ensures the byproducts of the decomposing waste are captured and managed.
The Transportation Unit Staff provides transportation of garbage from the Solid Waste Division's transfer stations located throughout the County to the Division's landfill in Maple Valley. Transporting leachate, equipment, rock and bark used in landfill construction, and operating the Division's fuel and vactor trucks. You can view a list of the stations at: http://your.kingcounty.gov/solidwaste/facilities/transfer.asp
Who to Contact: If you have any questions about this position, please contact Jemima McMahon, Human Resources Analyst at 206-477-4002 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Examples of Job Responsibilities:
• Safely operate a variety of vehicles including truck and trailer, truck equipped with water storage tank and pump, dump trucks with pony trailers, fuel tanker trucks, and belly dumps.
• Hook and unhook hydraulic hoses, properly brake in a variety of situations and weather conditions, safely install tire chains.
• Load and transport solid waste, trailers, equipment, gravel, water, fuel, and other materials to work areas throughout King County.
• Perform and document safety inspection of tractors and trailers.
• Check and refill fluid levels and tire pressure; refuel and maintain vehicle in a clean and operational condition.
• Document trip activities and complete required trip reports.
Our Ideal Candidate Will Have:
• Minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience safely driving tractor/trailer or similar combinations such as, Class A tractor/trailer combinations with three or four axles towing a unit with two or three axles with a gross vehicle weight of a maximum of 17,000 pounds per axle.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse range of staff and customers in a pleasant, respectful, and culturally sensitive manner.
• Ability to work effectively both independently or as a team member to complete assignments.
• Ability to work on uneven slopes, surfaces, grades and terrain in inclement weather and other adverse conditions such as high volume noise, dust and heavy traffic.
The Most Competitive Candidates Will Have:
Minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience driving combinations such as:
• Belly dump trailer, 12 to 14 yard pony trailer.
• 6,000 to 7,000 gallon wastewater tanker.
• 3,000 to 4,000 gallon fuel truck.
Required Licenses and Records:
• Valid Washington State Driver's License
• Valid Washington State Class A Commercial Driver's License
• Current Washington State Department of Transportation Medical Card
• Air Brake Endorsement
• Current five (5) year abstract driving record from the Department of Licensing
Drug and Physical Testing: This position(s) is defined as safety sensitive and as such, selected candidates will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment and, subsequent to commencement of employment will be subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return to duty and follow up testing. The selected candidate will be required to pass a physical examination.
Union Membership: This position is represented by Teamsters, Local 174.