Highline Community College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Web Designer/ Front-end Developer
at Highline Community College
- General Summary
Highline College is situated in a diverse community just 20 minutes south of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 70% students of color, representing over 35 nations and more than 100 languages. The college embraces equity, inclusion, and social justice, with core goals of Student Attainment, Diversity, Community Engagement, and Sustainability. Highline received a distinguished Award of Excellence from the American Association of Community Colleges in 2014, as well as the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award in 2013 and 2014. The college was also named one of the Chronicle of Higher Education's Best Colleges to Work For in 2010, 2013 and 2015.
The Web Designer/Front-end Developer reports to the Director of Marketing, Design and Production. This position is broadly responsible for managing the design, maintenance and long-term planning of the college's public web presence. This position maintains top level pages and empowers department level web authors to develop and maintain their sites. The Web Designer/Front-end Developer is proficient in WordPress and acts as the de facto WordPress expert on campus.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply before Nov 11, 2019 4pm. This posting will remain open until filled.
This is an exempt, at will position.
- Essential Tasks
- Takes the lead on working with campus departments to transition their web content from static websites into WordPress
- Manages and ensures top-level website content is timely, relevant and accurate
- Collaborates with graphic designers and Marketing Director to create impactful microsites and landing pages
- Ensures sites are accessible to students, employees and members of the public with disabilities
- Ensures department web pages meet college web standards; manage compliance and coordinate with appropriate individuals to ensure content is current
- Provides training and support for department web authors
- Ensures web presence operates within the college policies and procedures and state and federal regulations
- Advises and consults on third party applications that have public and intranet impact
- Monitors web statistics using Google Analytics and other tools as appropriate
- Manages and optimizes college's search engine tool
- Collaborates with campus computing groups on management of web design/development tools, online services and other matters
- Participates in campus-wide activities. May serve on Technology Advisory Committee, Accessibility Task Force and other campus leadership bodies
- With a high level of competency, develop and maintaining complex WordPress websites in a multi-site environment including the use of parent and child themes, and plug-in management techniques
- Hand code HTML and CSS using the latest coding techniques and best practices
- Develop accessible websites using coding techniques that comply with W3C and Section 508 standards
- Develop responsive, mobile-friendly websites
- Create graphics and optimize images for the web using Photoshop and Illustrator
- Demonstrate excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills, and attention to detail
- Listen well and understand the needs of staff, management and supporting departments
- Communicate effectively with a variety of people who have different levels of technical competency
- Self-direct and prioritize workload
- Basic understanding of web applications and server infrastructure including, but not limited to, Apache and IIS
- Accessibility and usability best practices as they relate to websites and online tools.
- AA/AAS degree; AND
- 3 years web design/front-end development experience; AND
- 1 year developing and maintaining complex WordPress websites; AND
- Strong portfolio of work that demonstrates excellent understanding of visual design principles and user interface design
- BA or BS degree;
- Previous employment at a large organization, preferably an educational institution.
- Supplemental Information
Your application must include the following attachments in order to be considered complete:
• Current Resume.
• Letter of Interest (Cover Letter) describing how your skills and abilities relate to this position. Please also include in your cover letter the link to your online Portfolio of Work;
• Diversity Response statement.
CONDITION OF WORK:
Must pass a National Criminal Background Check.
Application materials will be accepted until the position is filled. Please be aware that the College appointing authorities reserve the right and may exercise the option to make an employment decision prior to the conclusion of the recruitment process.