Highline Community College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Hourly Office Assistant II
at Highline Community College
- General Summary
As a member of the Student Services Division, and the Advising and High School Programs Department, the Front Desk Assistant reports to the Program Manager of the Advising Center. Under general supervision, the Assistant provides customer support to current and prospective students seeking advising assistance. This position provides information regarding policies and procedures related to matriculating into the college and maintaining enrollment. This position answers inquiries and makes appropriate referrals to campus services, focusing on ensuring students are able to access an advisor.
- Essential Tasks
- Greets customers as the initial point of contact for program support and information at the reception desk for the Advising Center and Transfer Center, providing a welcoming environment for students, staff, faculty and community members;
- Resolves problems and responds to inquiries regarding rules, regulations, policies, department procedures, and department services;
- Uses MS Outlook or other software program to schedule student advising appointments;
- Uses electronic databases, and web-based student record system to track advising services, and determine advisor of record;
- Responds to inquiries via email, phone and in person regarding the Advising and Transfer Centers and New Student Orientations.
- Creates and updates program materials, forms, brochures;
- Assists students by making referrals to appropriate campus services and resources;
- Demonstrates online student services;
- Provides logistical support for advising workshops and new student orientations, i.e. assists students with signing up for orientations, sending confirmation, reminders and follow-up phone calls and emails;
- Updates student records appropriately indicating completion of required orientation, advising, or status under academic probation policy;
- Updates student records with assigned advisor. Sends confirmation emails for students requesting advisor assignments.
- Informs students of academic standards policy requirements and procedures to continue enrollment under academic probation and suspension;
- Keeps managers informed of student advising needs, and seeks additional assistance as needed;
- Special projects as assigned.
- Demonstrated skills and abilities working successfully in a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as a member of a collaborative team;
- Ability to independently manage and prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines;
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills;
- Strong commitment to maintaining confidentiality with sensitive documents, communications and records;
- Proficient computer skills including internet browsers to research information; spreadsheets and database software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Understanding and appreciation for the community college mission.
- High school graduation or equivalent; AND
- Two years of fulltime related clerical experience;
- An Associate's Degree in a related field;
- Cross-cultural and/or bilingual communications skills;
- Experience in a community college or higher education setting;
- Experience providing customer services or clerical support in a professional office setting.