Highline Community College
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Grounds and Nursery Services Specialist 3
at Highline Community College
- General Summary
Highline College is situated in a diverse community just 20 minutes south of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 70% students of color, representing over 35 nations and more than 100 languages. The college embraces equity, inclusion, and social justice, with core goals of Student Attainment, Diversity, Community Engagement, and Sustainability. Highline received a distinguished Award of Excellence from the American Association of Community Colleges in 2014, as well as the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award in 2013 and 2014. The college was also named one of the Chronicle of Higher Education's Best Colleges to Work For in 2010, 2013 and 2015.
Positions at this level perform multiple duties relating to the care and maintenance of grounds, greenhouses, nurseries, or gardening programs. Position may work independently or as a team. Position will primarily focus on sprinkler irrigation and the maintenance of the campus grounds maintenance program. Position typically requires the ability to perform strenuous, outside work in inclement weather.
This position is a classified full-time position, which is eligible for overtime. Schedule: Mon -Fri 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Salary Information: The above salary range reflects the starting step of Range 34 (Step C) for this classified position and includes a 5% King County compensation provision. As a new employed classified employee, based on annual increments, it will take 5 years to reach Step L on the salary schedule. This does not reflect any contractual changes, legislative mandated salary increases or Cost of Living Increases (COLA's) that may be approved in the future.
- Essential Tasks
Under the direction of the Central Services Manager, this position will:
- Install, maintain, repair, and adjust various sprinkler systems and control devices;
- Repair, maintain and operate a variety of grounds mechanical equipment, systems, and apparatus;
- Clean, service and maintain tools and equipment, including power equipment;
- Operate power and motorized equipment such as small trucks, small tractors, lawn mowers, edgers, chain saws, weed trimmers, backpack blowers and sweepers, and perform related duties as required;
- Use a variety of manual tools and equipment, such as rakes, hand edgers, loppers, shovels, wheelbarrows, weeding forks, hoes, pruning shears and pesticide sprayers to perform the following: seed, mow, irrigate, sweep, fertilize, top dress, edge and maintain lawns, rake, remove leaves, propagate plants by cutting, seeding, grafting, layering and budding;
- Formulate and present recommendations for layout or improvements of grounds;
- Plan, prepare, plant, feed, water, prune and maintain flower beds and landscaped areas;
- Prepare soil for planting seed, sod, turf, plants, trees and shrubs;
- Diagnose and treat plant diseases and pests;
- Remove snow and ice from areas such as walks, stairs, roads, ramps and parking facilities;
- Install and maintain campus signs, fences, rockeries, etc.;
- Maintain adequate supplies and materials inventory;
- Provide services for departmental furniture moves, archive retrieval, recycle and package deliveries.
- Use hand tools;
- Operate power washer;
- Ability to lift up to 60 pounds daily, 100 pounds with assistance;
- Work in adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, and ice.
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS);
- Hazard Communication Standard (HCS);
- Safety Standards.
HS Diploma or GED equivalent; AND
Two years experience in gardening or grounds maintenance.
Ability to operate a forklift
Ability to operate a backhoe/tractor
- Supplemental Information
Your online application must include the following attachments in order to be considered complete:Current Resume;CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Letter of Interest (Cover Letter) describing how your skills and abilities relate to this position;
A one page Diversity Response (found in the Supplemental Questions).
National Criminal Background Check may be required;Application materials will be accepted until the position is filled.
This position is covered under the the Washington Public Employees Association (WPEA) bargaining agreement.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT: