Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Research Technician I
at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Job ID
- Regular Full-Time
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
- Clinical Research Support Services
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
The Research Technician position is in a service laboratory within the Specimen Processing lab, a Fred Hutch Shared Resources Core Facility. The laboratory provides cell banking services to researchers at the Hutch and around the world.
The technician will be responsible for the processing of human blood samples, including isolation, purification, and cryopreservation of lymphocytes and the transformation, expansion, and cryopreservation of B-lymphoblastoid cell lines. Candidates should be familiar with the use of molecular biology techniques such as DNA extraction, PCR, and DNA typing.
Responsibilities will also include the performance of quality control procedures for tissue culture and DNA, the recording of data and maintenance of a laboratory database, and participation in the prioritization of laboratory activities.
The position may involve work on some weekends and/or evenings.
- Bachelor’s degree in a biological field is required
- At lease one year experience in a biotechnology type lab is required
- At least 3-6 months of tissue culture experience is required
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques, and DNA quantification and purification is required
- Motivation and willingness to work with blood samples and a large number of cultured cell lines
- Organizational skills and the ability to take detailed and accurate laboratory notes are essential
- Ability to multi-task with precise attention to detail is especially critical
- Must be able to work under pressure in a highly-dynamic environment where priorities can shift without advance warning
- Experience with clinical sample processing is required
- Experience using computer application software, including MS Excel and PowerPoint is required
- The ability and desire to work cooperatively with others in a team environment
- Flexibility regarding the work schedule