Discovery Communications, LLC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Discovery Communications, LLC
- Requisition ID
- Career Category
- IT & Technical Operations
- Company Employee Full-Time
About Discovery Digital Media
Discovery Digital Media is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Inc, a high-performing global team working at the dynamic intersection of Technology and Entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we continuously leverage our technological capabilities to create immersive viewing experiences for iconic brands including Eurosport, GOLFTV, MotorTrend and DPlay.
Eurosport produces authentic, premium and innovative content, on linear and digital platforms. It combines expertise, passion and resources to develop high-value programmes and offer unrivalled coverage to viewers in 99 countries, in 21 languages. Having secured the exclusive European broadcast rights for the Olympics until 2024, there's no better time to join Eurosport on this incredible adventure.
Are you interested in shaping the future of television, sport and Olympics? Do you want to define the next generation of Discovery D2C platform? We need your passion, innovative ideas and creativity to help build a world-class Live and VOD streaming platform to super-serve our super-fans.
We are looking for talented Director of Engineering to lead the development and deployment of a global back end platform that is one of the key enablers for a multitude of digital products across a vast array of devices.
You need to be passionate about leading and building strong software engineering teams. You are equally obsessed about delivering the best possible customer experiences. You define and drive key performance and quality metrics for your organization and for all the D2C products. You communicate effectively with engineers, partners, leaders and a broad set of stakeholders.
Customers love Discovery’s content and we have a great opportunity to innovate on behalf of our customers. Your ability to make an impact will be directly related to how big your vision is for the team!
You will need to have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, great communication skills, a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment, a high level of creativity, great analytical reasoning skills, and, of course, a passion for TV and Sport.
This job will require travelling between our offices in London, Paris, New York and Bellevue.
* Experience with distributed computing and enterprise-wide systems
* Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
* Degree in Computer Science or related field
* Ability to communicate and influence at all levels, from the new college hire engineer to an executive audience
* Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered to customers
* Extensive experience in a leadership role in product development in consumer-focused companies
* Extensive experience in a leadership role, technical experience as Director or VP of Engineering managing growing engineering teams
* Computer Science fundamentals in object-oriented design
* Computer Science fundamentals in data structures and big data systems
* Computer Science fundamentals in algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
* Expert knowledge of AWS and/or Azure and/or GCP
* Experience developing in at least one of Java, C#, C++ and Go
* Ability to work on a diverse team
* Expert knowledge of video streaming, codecs, video delivery and broadcast workflows
* Experience with high throughput, multi-threaded systems
* Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
* Experience in mentoring engineers and growing high-performing engineering teams
* Experience with critical, 24x7 systems
* Experience developing web services, or other large-scale distributed systems, that have been successfully delivered to billions of customers
* Ability to own P&Ls and be accountable for team Smart Goals
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
* Master’s degree in computer science or equivalent preferred
* Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between preferred
* Hand-on expertise with serverless infrastructure preferred
Bellevue, Washington, WA, Seattle