City of Shoreline
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Teen Program Leader (year-round) - Extra Help
at City of Shoreline
- GENERAL SUMMARY
Shoreline is an inclusive City that endeavors to build a work culture which embraces diversity, encourages participation, and promotes equity.
Salary change: Starting rate $15.19 per hour
This position is open until filled, review date: 9/30/2019General PurposeThis position is for our Youth and Teen Development Program. In this position you will serve as a positive role model for youth by helping to plan, lead and participate in activities that reach and respond to the changing needs of youth in our community. Below is an example of the schedule. Expanded hours available in the summer.
Maximum of 20 hours per week.
Programs exist between these hours:
- Tuesday – Thursday 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM.
- Friday and Saturday late night, between 6:00 PM - 12:00 AM
Scope of Work
Provide leadership at all city sponsored teen program events. Assist in sports, music, arts and environmental program development for youth in middle and high school, up to 18 years old. Must have the ability to work late afternoon, evening and/or weekends 10-20 hours per week.
- EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Provide guidance, mentorship and support for youth at after-school and late night drop-in programs, secondary schools "co-sponsored" programs and other city-wide teen events.
- Assist in developing and promoting teen-related programs.
- Assist in planning, coordinating and leading field trips.
- Assist in providing outreach at community "hang out" spots to recruit teens to positive options offered at the Shoreline Teen Program.
- Set up, take down and clean up Recreation Center (and other facilities) used by the Teen Program.
- Assist in facilitating the activities and ideas generated by citywide teen population.
- Refer teens to appropriate health and human service agencies as needed.
- Provide information and support to help youth access programs and services in their community.
- Serve as a positive role model for youth.
- Participate enthusiastically in all program activities and events.
Interact with diverse populations of all ages in a friendly and supportive manner.
Ability to relate to interests and concerns of teen population.
Ability to relate to individual teens, as well as those who show a broad range of personal styles.
Must be prompt and reliable.
Good organizational and planning skills.
Commitment to excellent customer service.
Knowledge and leadership ability in (minimum of one) of the following programming areas: Sports, Music, Visual, Performing and/or Literary Art, Outdoor and/or Environmental Education.
Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Valid Washington State Drivers License and ability to meet City of Shoreline vehicle use requirements
- If no, a successful candidate would be required to possess a Washington State driver's license within 3 months of the hire date
- Six month experience working with youth, recreation, sports, disabled, visual or performing arts or equivalent of
- Education – equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade. Desired: college coursework with emphasis in recreation, education or related social services field
- Current CPR/First Aid certification or must acquire within 3 months of the hire date
- WORKING CONDITIONS
Community center/indoor and outdoor recreational facility environment; may travel from site to site; exposure to computer screen; noisy, potentially hostile environments; inclement weather conditions. Schedule may vary including evenings and weekends.
Essential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time; heavy, moderate or light lifting and carrying; repeated bending; operating motorized vehicles.