City of Marysville, Washington
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Oral Board Candidate Police Officer - Entry Level
at City of Marysville, Washington
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2547152
Overall Job Objective
- Position Summary
- 2020 rates: Salary $5509 per month while attending Basic Law Enforcement Academy, then $6122 up to $7634 per month.
Educational incentive pay: additional 6% - 90 quarter credits or 60 semester credits or AA; 8% - BA/BS.
In addition to wages listed above, the City of Marysville offers premium pay for specialty assignments and longevity pay after 5 years of service. For more details please refer to the labor agreement available online.
Applications for Oral Board Interview Candidates will only be accepted from the following:
- candidates who have successfully completed the written exam and physical abilities testing conducted through PublicSafetyTesting.com AND;
- are in a top qualifying group based on their written exam score AND;
- have been contacted by Human Resources and scheduled to participate in the upcoming oral board interviews.
The purpose of this position is to protect life and property, prevent and suppress crime, apprehend criminals, and enforce laws and ordinances. Work normally involves patrol, investigation, traffic enforcement, resolving complaints, and report writing duties. The City is strongly oriented toward proactive crime prevention activities and supports community based law enforcement practices.
- Examples of Job Duties
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
- Patrols the city to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes, and to enforce traffic regulations.
- Responds to calls for service involving traffic accidents, domestic situations, misdemeanor or felony offenses, and other public disturbances, and takes necessary police action.
- Provides assistance to citizens in critical and/or emergency situations where the security of lives and/or property may be endangered.
- Investigates complaints of crimes, either as a uniformed officer or a plain clothes detective, including gathering evidence at crime scenes and locating and questioning witnesses.
- Prepares and presents records and cases for prosecutions and/or investigation of criminal, civil, and traffic offenses; testifies as a witness in court.
- Assists other jurisdictions and agencies in routine law enforcement activities, emergency situations, and as part of undercover investigations involving narcotics, gambling, and other activities.
- Trains reserve police officers.
- Maintains department and personal equipment in good operating condition.
- Maintains firearms proficiency.
- Assists with animal control activities.
- A combination of the experience, education, and training listed below which provides an equivalent background to perform the work of this position.Experience:No previous law enforcement experience required.Education and Training:High school diploma or GED certificate is required.Other Qualifications:
Licenses or Certificates:
- Must be at least 20 1/2 years of age by date of application.
- Must be able to successfully complete the Washington State Basic Law Enforcement Academy within one year of hire date and subsequent field training programs.
- Must be able to successfully pass the City's Civil Service examination process for Entry Level Police Officer.
- Must be able to successfully pass to City standards an extensive background check, polygraph examination, psychological examination, medical examination (including LEOFF II medical requirements), and drug screening.
- Must not have been convicted of a felony offense.
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America or lawful permanent resident by date of application.
- Must be able to work a variety of scheduled shifts up to twelve (12) hour duration including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Must possess, or obtain by the date of hire, a current and valid Washington State driver's license.
- Must possess, or have the ability to possess within six months of hire date, first aid and CPR certifications.
- Must obtain and maintain Peace Officer Certification as mandated by Washington State law.
- Work Environment
- The physical demands and characteristics of the work environment described here are representative of those occurring in the performance of the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While performing the essential functions of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; run; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must be able to lift up to 25 pounds on a frequent basis; lift 25 to 75 pounds on an occasional basis; and lift and/or move 75 - 100 pounds rarely or in emergency situations. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, night vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.This position works in an office and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. The employee sometimes works in or near moving traffic and is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, or toxic or caustic chemicals, or vicious or otherwise dangerous animals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.The City of Marysville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, creed, color, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or the presence of a non job-related medical condition or disability.