Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Grounds & Nursery Service Specialist 2, #018129B
at Bellevue College
The Grounds & Nursery Specialist 2 performs skilled gardening work in the maintenance of Bellevue College main campus grounds, landscapes, pathways and parking lots. Under supervision, the Grounds 2 personnel also performs tasks requiring knowledge of cultivation and maintenance of lawns, athletic turf, trees and ornamental plants, such as pruning, aerating, fertilizing, transplanting plant material and applying chemicals.
COMPREHENSIVE WAGE AND BENEFIT PACKAGE
We offer comprehensive compensation package with salary and benefits as the main components. Competitive salary is within the Range stated above, and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Generous benefits package is offered through Washington State plans that includes multiple medical, dental, life and disability coverage choices for employees and dependents; choices of retirement and deferred compensation plans; paid holidays, sick, and vacation plans; transit program, reduced tuition, employee discounts and memberships, etc.
For more details about Bellevue College's excellent employee benefits, please visit Benefits section, next to Description section.
ABOUT THE COLLEGE
Bellevue College is a diverse student-centered, comprehensive and innovative college, committed to teaching excellence that advances the life-long educational development of its students while strengthening the economic, social and cultural life of its diverse community. Bellevue College is located just 10 miles east of Seattle where we serve a student population of over 45% students of color and over 1,800 international students. The college promotes student success by providing high-quality, flexible, accessible educational programs and services; advancing pluralism, inclusion and global awareness; and acting as a catalyst and collaborator for a vibrant region.
We strive to create a vibrant and inclusive campus community that supports a diverse student body, faculty and staff. As an essential part of our mission and goals, diversity, equity and pluralism are promoted and fostered in all aspects of college life. By enriching student life through leadership opportunities, personal learning and cultural experiences, we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse campus community that fosters creativity, innovation and student success.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL DUTIES
- Landscape Maintenance and Development: Regular/routine mowing, trimming, blowing of lawns and planted areas; blowing off parking lots/ roadways/sidewalks/paths/curbs; weeding of planted areas, tree pruning and care, bulb planting and flower care, etc; bush and shrub trimming; mulch application/spreading, aid/assist/contribute to landscape design and development of College landscape
- Irrigation Troubleshooting and Repair: Reviewing irrigation systems to ensure operation is optimal and efficient; setting and checking irrigation clock timers; repairing damages to sprinklers/pipes/valves/ as needed, upgrading/installing/or modifying irrigation systems to be appropriate for the plant areas being watered, winterizing irrigation systems on campus
- Trash, Recycling, and Litter Control: Collecting loose trash around the exterior of campus; changing trash and recycling receptacles around campus exterior; cleaning designated smoking areas; monitoring main campus compactor, etc.
- Hardscape Cleaning: Pressure washing hard surfaces at ground level and/or on buildings faces/structures, pressure washing moss/mold off of walking surfaces, removing/cleaning vandalism to College property, keeping drains clear
- QUALIFICATIONS/CORE COMPETENCIES
- Valid Motor vehicle operator's license or ability to obtain one upon employment
- Possess Washing State Department of Agriculture certification for pesticide application or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment
- Ability to work outside in ALL weather conditions
- Physical ability to do the required work (i.e. lift/push/or pull at a minimum 50lbs). Must be able to bend, kneel, and or crouch repeatedly
- Effective communication skills and ability to understand detailed written or oral instructions
- One year experience or training involving grounds maintenance, plant care, or equivalent education and/or experience
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memorandums
- Ability to write simple correspondence
- Ability to effectively present information in one on-one and small group situations to other employees of the organization
- Working experience with the operation of commercial lawn mowers, line trimmers and other industry related tools and equipment
- Ability to work in an environment that embraces diversity and diverse perspectives to enhance the attainment of organizational goals. As well as, building constructive working relationships characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation and mutual regard
- Familiarity with MS Outlook (email)
- SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS
Applications received by 07/15/19 will be given full consideration. Applications received after that date may be considered until the position is filled.
Prior to a new hire, a background check will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
How to apply:
Click on the word Apply at the top right corner of the job announcement.
Individuals interested in this position are encouraged to apply. Your application must include a complete online application and all of the required documents below to be considered complete:
- Complete an online Application (note that stating "See Resume" on any section of the online Application will be deemed incomplete)
- Complete the Supplemental Questionnaire
- Attach a Cover Letter
- Attach a Resume
- Attach a Diversity Statement that addresses the following: Please provide specific examples of how your educational and/or professional experiences, demonstrate your commitment to diversity and equity. (max 1 page)