Archdiocese of Seattle Catholic Schools
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
High School Counselor - Eastside Catholic, Sammamish
at Archdiocese of Seattle Catholic Schools
Job Reference #: 5702
Categories: Education - Support Staff, Healthcare - Therapy/Rehab Services, Non-Profit/Social Services
Openings as of 12/6/2019
Student Support Services
- High School Counselor - Eastside Catholic, Sammamish JobID: 5702
- Position Type:
Student Support Services/Counselor
- Date Posted:
Eastside Catholic, Sammamish High School Counselor
Eastside Catholic is seeking an energetic and motivated college counselor to join our team. Two high school college counselors support the upper school community (grades 9-12) with college advising and application support. While individual meetings occur with juniors and seniors, the college counselors also oversee all college and career workshops and support for the entire high school community. Work is performed with a collaborative team led by the director of student services. Qualified applicants should have a background in school counseling, knowledge about supporting students in the college application process and/or a willingness to learn.
· Support the college application process for students
· Meet individually with seniors in late August through December to support the college application process as well as other post-high school plans that could include a GAP year, fifth year, etc.
· Meet individually with juniors and their parents each spring to discuss academic planning, college research and potential college matches
· Write informative letters of recommendation for seniors
· Support school-related aspects of the college admissions process, which includes submitting transcripts, letters of recommendations and school documents
· Present about college related topics throughout the year to students and parents
· Visit colleges to better represent Eastside Catholic and learn about admission priorities at colleges and universities
· Implement college-related programs that serve the entire Eastside Catholic community
· Collaborate with school counselors to better guide and support the social/emotional lives of students
• A commitment to working with students in a progressive, faith-based school
• Possess a genuine interest in working with high school students
• Effective skills to create positive relationships with students and their families as well as the ability to meet the needs of a diverse and highly engaged student and parent population
• Strong interpersonal, collaborative and organizational skills
• Knowledge of adolescent development, social-emotional issues of students, ages 14 - 18, parenting models and issues and a variety of counseling models and strategies
• Strong interpersonal/group skills (listening, humor, tact, intuition and confidentiality
• Keen observation and ability to assess the needs of the school community
• Knowledgeable and skilled in addressing such issues as ADHD, grief, divorce, anxiety, difficulties with self-regulation, depression, learning differences and disabilities
• Effective communication and public speaking skills
• Computer literacy, especially Microsoft Office Suite
• Familiarity with state laws regarding child abuse
• Familiarity with available state, county and local services
• Familiarity with test batteries and interpreting their results
· Knowledge of the college admissions process, collegiate and federal aid practices and a familiarity with colleges and universities nationwide or a willingness to learn these skills
• Knowledge of standardized testing programs and Advanced Placement testing
• Familiarity with Naviance
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Comfortable learning college info and facts “on-the-job” with support from the director of student services
· MA or MS in education, school counseling or psychology; LCSW from an accredited college or university required
· ESA-certificate or equivalent is preferred
A competitive salary and benefits package, commensurate with experience and effectiveness, will be provided.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this
position, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may
perform other duties as assigned.
Please apply directly on the ().
Practicing Catholics and minorities are encouraged to apply. We are always looking for faculty and staff with experience facilitating extracurricular activities and coaching all sports.